Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am really dying to get back in the water, but don't yet know what flows are reasonable around here for each run (just starting kayaking this year).

Is there anywhere that flows are still up enough that are worth going to after work (within an hour drive of Fort Collins or so)?

It looks like Lyons is pretty darn low, as is Golden.

What flows are reasonable at the Denver playpark at the confluence (it is currently at 497cfs, and yes I will brave the suspicious water, if necessary)?

Are there any stretches on the Poudre that are still runnable when it is this low?

I am a beginner and really just want to get out there, so I don't need the best conditions--- I just don't want to put a hole in my boat all for an hour of scraping rocks.

Thanks everyone!
-Tony

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd follow Yeti's advice. Maybe if you're lucky he'll take you under his wing and show you how to take SIC photos of creeks without kayakers in them and scope some SIC new class V/V+ first D's.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
say what you want, ive got three rivers (each with different sections) to paddle within ~10 mins of my house, and another one just ~30 mins away, hard to beat........

come on down and then i'll have somebody to go boating with instead of just hiking around

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Most things will be low at this point in the season, so your options are limited. Not sure how low you can scrape down some of the sections of the poudre, but its very low right now. You can get wet and have some fun at golden, lyons, or confluence. Current confluence flows of 500ish are decent. Its a ways from ft collins afterwork though.

If you want some non-after work beginner stuff, the deckers section of the south platte may be good for you, or the upper colorado pumphouse run. Both of these runs have decent water in them.

There are still things to boat late season, you just have to travel farther and deal with lower water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts