Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in Sun City AZ the last weekend in May and I'm wondering if there is anything to run that is close. We won't be taking any gear, so it would need to be a commercial trip or a rental.

Are Sups on Lake Pleasant & Tubing the Salt it?

·
Registered
362 Posts
There is good whitewater in the Salt River Canyon on the Apache Reservation east of Phoenix. Several outfitters run this. Then there is the Verde River which is a Canoe trip north of Phoenix.

I know little of the flows on these rivers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is nothing good flowing in AZ right now (at least with any whitewater). They just turned on the lower Salt and that will be it until the monsoons come (and that can be a gamble) Sorry for the bad news :-(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is good whitewater in the Salt River Canyon on the Apache Reservation east of Phoenix. Several outfitters run this. Then there is the Verde River which is a Canoe trip north of Phoenix.

I know little of the flows on these rivers.
I saw at least one outfitter that runs the salt had posted that they were no longer running it because there was no water.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Verde near Camp Verde is only running 110, you could take a kayak if you rent one. Upper Salt is running 225 which is a jump from what it was the other day, but still too low.

The Verde below the dam near Scottsdale is probably your best bet. It is running 480, but I have never run this section so I don't really know what it is like at that level.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...maybe we'll just tool around on the lake on Sups or something.

I'm not going to complain toooo hard about a weekend in the sun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Verde from Bartlett Dam to Rido Verde is very scenic and a fun float in an IK. Around 400 cfs is great.

My wife and I have done this a few times, always taking out near Rio Verde. You can go farther down the river if you want, I just don't have any info for taking out Past Rio Verde.

There's no WW to speak of, just one or two small pour-overs. However, there are strainers , which should be easy to avoid at 400-500CFS. If for some reason they increase the dam release, bringing the flow closer to 1000 (which they sometimes do) I would not advise doing this float unless you are well prepared for avoiding and/or dealing with strainers.

The float is very lush and scenic. There's canyons and cliffs, some wider, lush riparian areas, some small beaches, plenty of cliffs to jump off. We've even seen a bald eagle and huge nest up on a cliff.

If you need to rent gear, I can't recommend The AZ Hiking Shack highly enough. The owner is an extraordinarily awesome dude. Same goes for the staff. All very knowledgeable and helpful. Good rates on rentals too.

If all else fails and you need to get outta the valley, go to Sedona or Jerome + Page Springs or go hike Lost Dutchman.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts