Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a 14 avon yesterday and the setup came with 4 10 ft counter balanced sawyer polecat oars. i would be willing to trade 2 if not all for some 9 ft polecats or something comparable if anyone out there has what i need. let me know Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
This may or may not help but here goes.
I just changed out some cataract counterbalanced handles to wood.
Their counterweights are 1 1/4"x10 1/4" steel round bar.
Half of the counterweight is handle and the other half is cast into plastic the same ID as the shaft.
That is then glued into the shaft.
I used a heat gun to warm up the shaft to break the bond of the glue and used a strap wrench to twist it out of the shaft.
This can easily ruin the handle, I did.
I have also cut them down from the blade end and rebored the blade hole with a sharp unibit with a light touch.
This may be the way to go in this case.
Don't try to use twist bits to bore the hole, as it will splinter to much.
I think you would get the cleanest hole with a annular cutter, but I did not have one of the right diameter, so I don't know for certain.
One more thought is cut them to 9'-6" first then go to 9' if needed.
Easy to cut down, hard to add on to.
Nuts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Don't try to use twist bits to bore the hole, as it will splinter to much. I think you would get the cleanest hole with a annular cutter, but I did not have one of the right diameter, so I don't know for certain.
I used a hole saw to make the new hole after cutting down my sweep.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
So, before you start cutting the oars, a few questions. Was this a used set-up or new? If used, was the previous owner using the 10 ft. oars successfully? How wide is the raft & frame? If it's new, why did they sell oars that long with the package if they're way too long? Have you set the raft & frame to try them? I'd make sure that they won't work before I started cutting or trading them. I say this because I have suffered with "short oar syndrome" in the past. Just wondering?????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless it's a really narrow Avon, you will be happier with 10 ft oars. I went back and forth on the decision with a mind to all the rocky rivers I like to run and in the end went with 10'. Once you get a feel for them in lower/rockier situations there is only benefit to the extra power.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Same thoughts for me as below. Your boat and your choice, Ryan, but I'm very satisfied with 10' oars on my 14' Hyside. I run the Ark in Bighorn and Royal Gorge, both somewhat rocky sections.

Unless it's a really narrow Avon, you will be happier with 10 ft oars. I went back and forth on the decision with a mind to all the rocky rivers I like to run and in the end went with 10'. Once you get a feel for them in lower/rockier situations there is only benefit to the extra power.
So, before you start cutting the oars, a few questions. Was this a used set-up or new? If used, was the previous owner using the 10 ft. oars successfully? How wide is the raft & frame? If it's new, why did they sell oars that long with the package if they're way too long? Have you set the raft & frame to try them? I'd make sure that they won't work before I started cutting or trading them. I say this because I have suffered with "short oar syndrome" in the past. Just wondering?????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet

well thanks for all the help. ya i have always used 9 ft oars on my 14 ft boats, (nrs expedition, hyside) i have a 16 ft avon pro and use 10 ft oars. i guess ill wait till i make a few runs in it. i was unaware you could cut them and still keep the integrity of the fiberglass. Either way you guys have been extremely helpfull thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I use 9 footers on my 14' boat on day trips or short overnighters, and in low water/small river stretches. Expeditions and bigger water I take the 10 footers.

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Keep the 10s, I have 10s and now 9s feel too short... I used them just last weekend on Browns on the ark at 600, not a single problem. I like the power of the 10s. Plus cutting them down messes up their counterbalance even if we all say it doesnt...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your Avon, is probably wider and I bet the tubes are 21-22" tubes? The tubes on my raft are 20"x6'10" and I'm running 9.5' oars. They feel right for the boat, I'm on and for various levels runnin on the Ark. I would say run with the 10'. The only reason I see myself going shorter is a stern frame setup or longer is a river like the Grand.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I run 10 footers on a 14' NRS revolution and a 14' Hyside. I like and prefer the 10's and could get away with 9.5s....I would not be happy with 9s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts