Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I would like to do it before going back east. I've run it a few times, but he's new to it. We'd like to do the thing in one long day, but we're willing to do an overnighter. Give me a call at 256 426 5432, bert or matt.
By the way, the gate is NOT open. Drat.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Our group (N. Wigston, 56, R. Raven, Clayton, me) just ran the BS from the source as an overnighter over the past couple days. I recommend doing it as an overnighter if you have the time. Great scenery and the camping is stellar.

The source is running at a good level right now so we were able to put-on right away and float all the way down. We had two portages around wood in the gorge just above the confluence with the standard run. From our car to Starter Fluid took us approx. 2.5hrs.

The level on the main run was just about perfect (6 units on the new gauge, which seemed to correspond approx. 3.25ft or 3.5ft on the old gauge). We took our sweet time and completed the main section in 4.5 hours. If you know the run well, and provided you have no incidences, you should easily be able to complete the whole thing from your car to the takeout in about 7hrs, including snack breaks, lunch, and setting up safety at various rapids.

Pretty much everything on the main section is good to go, so long as you have the cahones to nut up to the big ones. Most of us didn't. But even then, all the in-between rapids were really really good and make the trip completely worthwhile. At this flow (high), the drops in the upper half clean up and the lower half is awesome. Beware in Meltdown - according to an earlier party this year, there may be some wood in the crux hole. Probably best to walk that one until the water drops and we know it's clean.

Otherwise, generally speaking, the wood situation is good. Any wood on the main run is sneakable all the way down to the rush (i.e. no wood portages). We took out at the log jam, so can't comment on Lower Rush.

Enjoy!

p.s. Not sure if you plan on leaving your car at the putin (up on Trailridge road), but if you do maybe ask the Park if that's ok. We've always had shuttle drivers drop us off.

p.s.s. Please post the water level on the BS when you get back. The new gauge is a painted rock located under the takout bridge on river right. Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
hortonvm,

As for Park information:
- Entrance gates open at 7am, get in before its free.
- To leave a car there (overnight), you will need to get a pass from the backcountry office. I don't know if it will cost you anything. The office opens at 8am, so if your going tomorrow, call them first. (970-586-1242)
-There is construction on Trail Ridge Road, if your before 7am, then dont worry about it, after, potental for 20-30min delays.

- check your pm box

Josh

·
Registered
558 Posts
i too would recommend the overnighter. I don't think you will have enough flow at the source in the morning. We had just enough and we put on at 4:30pm. epic run though. i'm never waiting for the gate to open again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"The level on the main run was just about perfect (6 units on the new gauge, which seemed to correspond approx. 3.25ft or 3.5ft on the old gauge)."

What level on the new gauge in units would correspond to below 2 ft on the old gauge? (I'm trying to figure out what a low but runnable level would be on the new gauge) Thanks-

·
Registered
465 Posts
dooleyoc-1: the new gauge is new this year and is being callibrated as we speak. not sure if anyone knows what the Low level mark is, yet...

·
Registered
463 Posts
gage is fine. no need for paint. joe just bring that pink boat of yours and some cohenes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Frenchy or other source vets,

What is the run like from Trail ridge road to the confluence where the source meets the big south? Or from Trail ridge road to Peterson Lake? Any options there for a fun run for a class IV boaters who likes low volume remote runs but is'nt ready to take on the full gnar of the big south? Obviously the road would have to be open for the take-out so timing would require the road to be open plus water in the source, any chance of that?

Here's a link to a map of the takeouts (A and B) i was thinking of

Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Mike. The run from Trail Ridge Rd (Fall River Pass or Poudre Lake) to the confluence with the main run is for the most part a low water class II/III meandering stream. There is a class IV+'ish gorge near the confluence, but the entrance and the exit drops contain bad wood. I think you'll find the section from Fall River Pass to takout A to be extremely scenic, full of wildlife, but also super boney. Very little whitewater and more boat abuse than you may care for, especially now with the recent cooler temperatures over these last couple days.

Obviously, takeout A requires you to hike your boat up Corral Creek. And takeout B requires you to hike up to Peterson Lake. Both of these takouts require Long Draw road to be open, which hopfeully will happen by this weekend.

But, to answer your question, the chance of enough water on the upper poudre section + the gate open is unlikely most years (including this one). And as far classifying the above section as 'fun', well that's not how I would describe it at all unless you're on shrooms (or something).

As for paddling from A to B, beware of the horizon lines and know where to get out before 'Cool World' - this rapid can sneak up on you. Everything else in this section is easy enough to spot from your boat (i.e. pool drop character with distinct horizon lines).

·
Registered
160 Posts
The upper upper BS (above Weird Ck) will likely be too low by the time the road opens, and while super nice, there's not much in the way of whitewater up there.

At lower flows the upper BS gets to low for the nature of the named rapids and there isn't a whole bunch in between the named rapids to make things very interesting. At these flows most will put on at Peterson, which is pretty fun and not much more than class 4 if you take out the bumps (Double Trouble, Slideways and the Rush when it gets too much - knowing where to get out for these is advised as they do sneak up on ya).

Maybe that's what you're looking for ...

Marty

·
Registered
709 Posts
Frenchy or other source vets,

What is the run like from Trail ridge road to the confluence where the source meets the big south? Or from Trail ridge road to Peterson Lake? Any options there for a fun run for a class IV boaters who likes low volume remote runs but is'nt ready to take on the full gnar of the big south? Obviously the road would have to be open for the take-out so timing would require the road to be open plus water in the source, any chance of that?

Here's a link to a map of the takeouts (A and B) i was thinking of

Thanks.
From Trail Ridge to where the first big tributary begins (not Wierd Creek) it's like 4 inches deep and 10' wide. It's very scenic, but it's nothing too exciting. After this merger of tribs, it has one big mini canyon before Wierd Creek which is where they are talking about strainers being. It's class 5 for sure inside the canyon. We portaged last year on the left.

It's 3/4 until Wierd Creek comes in.

Short season for sure if you're not willing to run Big South. It might never run to be honest.

Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Kent: Yes. Actually, there is a new log at the entrance of Prime Time. Sneak this one on river left. The log at the bottom of the entrance rapid (the one you are most likely referring to) is snuck on the right. This one has been pushed down under the water surface and is also easy to sneak, so long as you are river-right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts