Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have free time this week and would like to get out to the lake or union...
as for rolling, I would like to improve my sweep roll for combat readiness and help you out with your hip snap, or whatever I can ;)

as for union chutes, its flowing well and tons of fun- but if you're thinking about replying to join me for a run, I gotta warn you that I'm a beginner and might swim on you...

Carrie
720-219-0285

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gotta huge itch to get out for roll practice this afternoon....but I'm totally free for either all week. When's a good time for you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Carrie,

Saw that you called, and I was on the other line....I get bad reception where I'm at. Was wondering if you would be interested in a lake session tomorrow? Man, would love to go today but too swamped with work and baby stuff :(

Let me know.

Daisy

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can meet you at a lake or union this afternoon. I get off work at two PM and need to grab my boat and could be at the lake or union by 4. You up for that?

Josh
303-981-8607

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely Daisy, got some good rolls in after u and mel left...turns out i do a sweep roll too! lol! what time r u thinking 4 tomorrow?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me and another are going to Golden PP this afternoon (Tuesday 8/3). Likely arrive by 4:30-4:45p. Will run until dark. Tomorrow, I'll probably do Union Chutes around 5p-ish. (Water permitting.)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Union chutes is one of the toughest places to learn to roll at medium and high water because of the swirling eddies. That's where you turn a good roll into a great roll.

Also, a swimmer without pfd died there a few years ago by getting trapped in the pool below the Hollywood wave.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeremy- just read your post about how it was gross today? That's good to know, I ran it on Sat. and it was tons of fun at 400-480. What was it flowing today, so i know when to avoid it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I didn't get in the water tonight, but drove by this evening to check things out. Water didn't look any nastier than usual. It is what it is - it's the South Platte, but most of the water at union is coming straight out of chatfield, so it's "relatively" clean, despite not looking super pretty. Aside from the one big eddy on surfer's left that always has swirling debris, didn't seem to be much else floating in the water. Most of those debris looked like sticks - some trash, too - though again, wasn't up close. Two of the waves in particular looked like they'd be good fun - comparable to anything at Golden at this point, and I'd imagine alot less busy. Nothing looked especially challenging to the beginning boater.

YMMV. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mostly sticks and wood. Plenty of trash too. I mean, the good news is that you can use the trash and debris as a learning tool to understand water flows.

Took some spray in the eyes, it burns, it burns... :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeremy T. M.- I might go to Golden this afternoon to meet some one. How tough/forgiving is Golden for a beginner when its flowing this high? Lmk if you do head out, I'll look for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Above 400 is slightly challenging for me. 300-350 is ideal in my opinion. 250-300 also works, just boney in spots. Below 250, I wouldn't run the whole PP. Just seems too boney and too many tubers/swimmers to dodge. But you could find some fun trying to surf a bit even at that level.

We hopped up to Golden PP after we did Union Chutes yesterday, and it was low/mid-400's. The guy I usually run with was in a LL Remix. His boat just kind of torpedos through holes and waves. I was in my LL Biscuit. I'm a newb, so I get tossed around a bit through the holes, but it's fun though.

I'm sure the more experienced here have many more words of wisdom, but as I'm still learning, so far Golden PP, despite the crowds is the safest and most fun place I've been close to the city.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts