Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in WV? Yes I know boatertalk...and this is mainly west coast, but y'all have been so helpful! :-D Plus I know there are several here that have spent plenty of time here in the Mountain State.

My question is, I hear it said you can take a "small raft" through there and I always considered 14footers to be at the top of the small category. Would it be a problem to get a 14' raft at about 7' wide (NRS Revolution rowed, Hyside R4), through the canyon? It kinda has me worried that a "small raft" could mean "ducky".

It doesn't run often, usuall april/may but I wonder if say 4ft on the franklin gauge (runnable by duckies, canoes and kayaks) would be too low while maybe 4.5 feet would give you wide enough corridors once water came up over the heads of small boulder gardens.

I would prefer the water not be so high that fishing is impossible.

Any insight? Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes you would be fine. Folks overnight there all the time. I have a 14 footer and would not hesitate. We fish the trough a lot too. Beautiful river. Love me some tomac water!

·
Registered
4 Posts
smoke hole wv

I've done it as low as 2.4 ft on franklin gauge. very low and alot of work missing rocks I have a 14ft air with frame and lots of beer and food and people. at 3 ft it is realy nice float over alot of it

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done it as low as 2.4 ft on franklin gauge. very low and alot of work missing rocks I have a 14ft air with frame and lots of beer and food and people. at 3 ft it is realy nice float over alot of it

Cool this is exactly the data I was looking for! I figured it'd need more than 3ft (with a 2.5 suggested minimum) to lessen the rock dodging! That's good news....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts