Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lewis lake to Shoshone lake (requires some upriver paddling/dragging), camp near backcountry geyser basin, super cool trip.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can get very choppy very fast, cold water, many people have drowned. If your canoeing or kayaking, stay close to shore. There are tons of campsites and you have to reserve them and get a backcountry permit. It is pretty awesome country to check out.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Never thought about kayaking up there but it looks stunning from the quick search I did. Another idea to add to the long list of trips to take.

Phillip

·
Einer
51 Posts
Southeast Arm - Yellowstone Lake

Another nice canoe or kayak trip in Yellowstone is to take the commercial boat across the lake with your canoes or kayaks and paddle up the non-motorized southeast arm of Yellowstone Lake.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I'm leading an overnight kayak trip in Grand Teton Nat. Park in two weeks. String & Leigh Lake. A backcountry permit is required and I made my reservation back in January. I believe they do hold a few of the campsite permits each day for walk-up customers, so you could get lucky and grab one? I'm not sure if that's the way it works in Yellowstone. I'm super stoked about this trip because the videos I've seen of Leigh Lake are absolutely gorgeous. Fingers crossed for good weather.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Southeast arm holds LOTS of grizzlies- be aware

I have seen a video of a sea kayak trip on lewis/shoshone. Have you done a search on youtube?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Ebby
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Several years ago we backpacked to Shashone when the elk were in rut it was great. Now older wanting to try something new.

Have you paddled in the Tetons?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Just got back last night from Teton paddle. Two nights on Leigh Lake. Absolutely gorgeous. We had perfect weather and had a great time. We were at campsite 12 B on the east shore of the lake, so we had the awesome Mt. Moran view. Only down side was the hiking trail right behind our camp, but that gave easy access to the members of my group who wanted to day hike. The camps on the other side of the lake were more private, but no spectacular view. Those sites were right next to a creek and more wooded, so still great. The portage from String Lake to Leigh Lake was short, but did require some effort. Works best if you unload gear and carry it over, then carry (or roll....we had wheel carts) your empty kayak/canoe over. Fire rings & bear boxes in every camp. Here's a few pictures.

·
Ebby
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great pictures! Several years ago we spent a week hiking the Teton Crest trail, what a great time.

Did you have wildlife in camp?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Great pictures! Several years ago we spent a week hiking the Teton Crest trail, what a great time.

Did you have wildlife in camp?
Just deer in camp. However, when you're on the groover first thing in the morning and hear a noise, it's very disconcerting to look behind you and see a large critter face 5 feet away from you. It takes a second for your brain to register that it's a deer and not a bear. We also saw moose, elk, and otters. Folks who were camped across the lake on the west, canyon side, reported a bear near their camp, but it didn't come into their camp. The Rangers did tell us that there were several sows with cubs in the area, so to be extra careful if hiking. We all had bear spray that we carried at all times.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shoshone vs. Leigh

The Shoshone trip is likely quite a bit more work from what I've heard from those that have done it. It's pretty wild back there: wind, bears, getting from Lewis to Shoshone Lake, etc.

The String to Leigh is an easy portage. I was able to carry my handmade wooden kayak myself between the lakes on the short trail.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Poach blacks canyon and get some good video!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know you mentioned the lake, but I just did 4 days fishing the Yellowstone River from Gardiner. We just car camped and ran shuttles though. The fishing from Gardiner to Carbella was fantastic if you are into that at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts