Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering when the ARK stops flowing. How long after they shut off the water does the flow go down. Planning a trip next week.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
This weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So you guys are telling me that if I come up to Salida from Aug 14 thru 24 for a class, that I won't get any paddling in?!?!? Should I leave my boat at home?
Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Paddling after August 15

The flows stop running after August 15.

But, when I made a similar inquiry to the folks at Arkansas Headwaters State Park they thought that there would still be 400-500 cfs. I agree that that is low. However the Numbers and Pine Creek and the Gorge are still doable. At 400 I will paddle it in a minute and enjoy myself. If it is nearer 200 then we have a different story.

At 400 the question is do you chose to run at that level rather than can you run at that level. Chris Kelly

·
Registered
52 Posts
what about the class 3's (namely brown's and fractions) after august 15th? Are they still gonna be runable? Planning a trip out there the 16th through the 18th. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
The steps in browns will be bony below 700. Not much play at that level, Zoom will be more technical lots of S turns.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,457 Posts
it blows my mind to hear talk about 700 minimums on the ark. i have rafted browns in a 12' at 325 and parkdale on down to 250. sure it is a little boat abuse but with some good planned low siding things are just fine, and the fishing kicks ass. guess it just matters how bad you are fiending.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
We run Browns in rafts every late oct/nov for deer season. This year it will be November 5th. You can still get a raft down and the duck hunting is great as well!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The hunting is very, very, good. We fill up most days. I almost feel bad for the ducks/geese (all but the fish gorging merganser). They are not used to rafters having shotguns! No sitting on rocks it is legal to shoot from a boat if it does not have a motor running.

Here is how we do it – waders and fly fishing equipment as we float down in rafts - we will come across tons of ducks and geese. They fly up and down the river that time of the year all day long. Just drop the rod, pick up the shotgun and throw down. My pitt bull will even go and retrieve the ducks.

Your classic cast and blast trip! Super fun if you are into this type of stuff.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've done Browns a lot between 400 and 800 (in a kayak). The lowest I've done it is 360 and it wasn't really fun at that level. The lowest I would do it is around 450. The Numbers is good down to 300. Don't know about any lower, though. Don't know much about the other sections in the area at low water.

COUNT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts