Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Most cool Vandyin, thanks for sharing. Does a body good to see things like this, and know that rivers have entrenched themselves in their hearts, as it has mine. Thanks for sharing..

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was thinking (yeah yeah) that I really know nothing of river runners history. I was thinking some of you old timers should do a thread about it? Doesn't have to comprehensive or anything but could be a living history one too? I talked to a old timer friend from boise who was telling me how his dad and friend had done stuff after the war (war war 2) in surplus rafts around boise and in Montana in the 40's and 50's. He thought they may have done a few first decents. That kinda stuff blows me away . Just like these guys sending the falls in the "creature craft". Love the old film. Be neat to see and hear about. I've seen some old film of craz Russian rigs over there doing insane stuff. I dunno if one of you guys has the time but it would be awesome for us that didn't have those memories!! My buddies dad ran a run we're doing tomorrow called the beartrap canyon on the Madison outside bozeman in 1946. Not saying anything about first or anything other than that's very cool and it could have had much traffic on it then! Anyway it would be a cool thread. Soon enough even my generations stories will be lost if not told. Nevermind you salty old Dawgs lol!!

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
You want history, you've but to read some of Brad Dimock's books, and check out the legendary "Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko. Brad's titles include Sunk without a sound, about Glen and Bessie Hyde, The Grandest Ride, by Brad and Tom Brownold, The Doing of the Thing about Buzz Holstrom, The Very Hard way about Bert Loper's career.

Grand Canyon River Guides has a publication called the BQR, Boatman's quarterly review which has some great historic articles, including one about Wally Rist who just passed away. He was a true legend and a very competent doryman.

That should satisfy your need for historical perspective :cool:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's awesome stuff and I will thanks! It's awesome to think about the other areas of the country too though! Guess all religion is local as they say. I've read a little grand canyon stuff and some early oregon dory guy stuff but I never hear about crazy locals sending out of the way unknown stuff. That goes on forever though doesn't it. Still be neat but I suppose difficult to do. Thanks for the references!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
To all the Postees and especially to Mikey and Gary....

I've been tremendously lucky to have grown up with these gentlemen. Mike convinced my dad to get into rafting 40 plus years ago and I've been rafting with Mike ever since. I've been on some epic trips with Mike in all sorts of weather and with all sorts of people. I'll never forget when Mike led 4 forty-something year olds down the Illinois. He was 71.

We, the kids of these adventure seekers, have kept the flame alive and love boating with our respective families. Rogue, Middle Fork, Main, Deschutes, Snake, Selway to name a few....I'll be the lucky one in March 2022 to be with Mike and his family on the Grand.

I'm sharing the picture attached. (I'm the one eating) This might be the best picture in the world to me. My dad was stoked to have 3 generations of rafters on the Rogue. I know Mike was as well.

If you see us on the river, please say hi.

Matt Mohill

21 - 28 of 28 Posts