Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Where the heck was that. Didn't look runnable to me, and apparently it wasn't for them either. Normally a pretty respectable armchair quarterback, but for the life of me I don't see a doable run thru there.. Sorta like Hance LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's Sherars Falls on the Deschutes, below Maupin.
It's runnable, but right on the ragged edge. Definitely Class VI.
If I remember the story correctly with those folks, they rented the boat, took it to Sandy Beach(the last take-out) to put in. Nobody stopped them. They ignored the MADATORY TAKE OUT, FALLS AHEAD signs. Darwin didn't get his cut, they all survived.

Ran it in absolutely the worst spot, too. There's a reasonable chance for success if you go just right of center. Sliding into that notch like they did is pure brutality...
There's a hilarious video from the 70's of a big group who made a barge outta innertubes and ran it. It's on the 'tube.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
That's Sherars Falls on the Deschutes, below Maupin.
It's runnable, but right on the ragged edge. Definitely Class VI.
If I remember the story correctly with those folks, they rented the boat, took it to Sandy Beach(the last take-out) to put in. Nobody stopped them. They ignored the MADATORY TAKE OUT, FALLS AHEAD signs. Darwin didn't get his cut, they all survived.

Ran it in absolutely the worst spot, too. There's a reasonable chance for success if you go just right of center. Sliding into that notch like they did is pure brutality...
There's a hilarious video from the 70's of a big group who made a barge outta innertubes and ran it. It's on the 'tube.
Right on, never ran the Deschutes.. Was always on the list, but just never happened. OR is sort of a haul for me from CO..

Found the video from the 70's, hilarious.

Just watch it for the hairstyles !! ARCO service station, wow. A true blast from the past.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the comments on the video was
And...they died.
So crazy! Even trying hard to be good I look at that and shite my pants and think I should join dart league instead of run whitewater. So funny but not. I haven't watched it on a big screen but I don't see them come up for awhile!! Stupid human tricks..

·
Registered
AIREforce prototype, Lynx I, Outfitter I, Lynx III [super lynx], TBP Trinity II, RMR 13 bucket boat.
11 Posts
That was truly epic... I like how their reward was free beer at the local tavern.
I almost want to say it looked like they were sinking a few bottles while they were putting their raft together !!
One of the greatest stories ever told, not too mention the all star cast :) ) :)
I agree - it would be great to see where everyone's at these days, those who are still alive anyway.

·
Registered
AIREforce prototype, Lynx I, Outfitter I, Lynx III [super lynx], TBP Trinity II, RMR 13 bucket boat.
11 Posts
Actually, if you read the comments on the YouTube video - one of those aboard actually posted a comment to that video.
Again, truly epic....
It would have been great to see a feature film made of that whole crew.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Right on, never ran the Deschutes.. Was always on the list, but just never happened. OR is sort of a haul for me from CO..

Found the video from the 70's, hilarious.

Just watch it for the hairstyles !! ARCO service station, wow. A true blast from the past.
I wouldn't say they "conquered the river", but absolutely survived it.

It was REALLY cool to see the native fishing platforms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been fishing and boating the Deschutes for about 70 years. Every time I've gone past Sherars, I've stopped to look for a doable line. There isn't any. You see that aeration, the white current running below the surface for a good quarter mile? That's air. If it'll hold air under water that far, it'll do the same to you or me, with no guarantee of turning us loose. Yeah, it's even been run in a truck inner tube ... twice. (The guy was under the influence and had just lost his marriage.)
No, every time I think I see a line down Sherars, I end up saying the same thing ... no way. Not quite runable. Don't do it. It'd turn everybody else's day into a real bummer. and they'd hurt for a long, long time. We all need better than that.
But it's a hoot watching somebody getting away with it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is runnable but illegal to do so (managed by Warm Springs Reservation). Before the Sandy Beach takeout was established (early 90s?) the takeout was just above the falls. A few too many parties missed it and went over (know one LOL) often with tragic results. A local drift boat salvager used to post a sign on the access road upstream of Maupin stating he ran it twice (in double/stacked rafts). FYI (to above) the fishing platforms are always there (are rebuilt every time they come down with spring runoff). Sherars' is a pretty special place with tremendous history (and some cool petroglyphs) and if these guys put in solely to try and run it I hope the tribe drops the hammer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That was truly epic... I like how their reward was free beer at the local tavern.
I almost want to say it looked like they were sinking a few bottles while they were putting their raft together !!
One of the greatest stories ever told, not too mention the all star cast :) ) :)
I agree - it would be great to see where everyone's at these days, those who are still alive anyway.
Ask and you shall receive. Most of those guys are still out there and couple of them get out on the water as often as possible. They’ve spent decades building their river resume throughout the west, chasing the biggest waves and coldest beer, but not necessarily in that order.

As a side note, all of them started with life jackets they had purchased from the Zidell ship dismantling yard in Portland for $1 each. The guy who came up without one had to slip out of his after getting hung up in the straps holding their “raft” together.

Without further delay, here’s their reply straight from the horses mouth:

“It’s come to my attention that we have surfaced again on MoutainBuzz regarding our inner-tube raft trip over Shears Falls in September of 1972. Almost 50 years since our ill-advised attempt to run the falls. Although I’m sad to report we did lose our first guy last year from that epic adventure, four of us are still going strong. It just so happens that Gary, the long hair guy who talked about an insatiable appetite for adventure, is at my house right now. I for one continue to raft multiple rivers every year which typically include the company of many of the kids we introduced to the river over the years and their kids. From the inner-tubes, paddles and army surplus six mans, wood self-made rowing frames, Riken River Rider bucket boats, to the self-bailing Sotars, I wouldn’t trade a minute of the fun and family bonding we have had. No end in sight from here, see you on the Rogue in late August or in the Grand Canyon next March.”

1 - 20 of 28 Posts