Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking Eddy Flower is says it is at 1300cfs which is a pretty good flow. http://eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=7#/home

I also heard Murtaugh is in. With my birthday around the corner I am wanting to hit a few things. I was thinking PNW. I am getting mixed reports from nothing is running, white salmon is running, but nothing else, or it should rain any time. If I am not on at least class IV on my birthday that will suck indeed, and I am willing to travel to make that happen. Any Oregon boaters know if the white salmon, or little white will be in next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is about to turn cold with possible snow here in Seattle. Runs like Robe canyon and Ernie's here in the Seattle area are in, but will soon be out if it gets as cold as it is supposed to. Not sure about the white salmon, but I bet there is something to be had there. Most people will likely be skiing though, may be hard to find people to boat with.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
i was thinking about getting clay down there for a lap to.. we will see what the weather is like.. quake was still good last i checked, and im kinda thinking some of them waterafalls on that there missouri river will be huckable if need be for an early morning lap..plus beartrap is still good flow for winter. gallatin is runnable in kayaks.. pots is still holding at elf flow not quite leif flows..plenty of water up this way

·
Registered
182 Posts
If the green is in it should be easy to hook up with people. I'm not sure what else will be in but you can always hit up professor paddle to try and find a group.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was thinking about getting clay down there for a lap to.. we will see what the weather is like.. quake was still good last i checked, and im kinda thinking some of them waterafalls on that there missouri river will be huckable if need be for an early morning lap..plus beartrap is still good flow for winter. gallatin is runnable in kayaks.. pots is still holding at elf flow not quite leif flows..plenty of water up this way
Where are these located ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Your PNW beta is correct: the Truss is running and everything else is a definite maybe with this weather coming in. Probably a little early for L-Dub above 3.0, as that usually needs a few storm cycles before it comes up (weird plumbing on that side of Adams). Murtaugh is running at about 6,000, which is a really fun medium level. Lower Mesa should be low but runnable. NF Payette is still ELFable too.

If the Truss sounds good to you, then I'd gamble on the Hood River zone because the wet weather seems to be rolling in on the regular.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
We'll be boating up there on Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving with some locals if you're going to be in the area.

Plan to run the EF of the Lewis and what else yet to be determined based on the weather.

·
Registered
231 Posts
looks like it rained alright!!

Is this some kind of a record, or just what happens out there :)? EF Lewis went from ~630 to over 9000 in a day; currently 4,220. Hope it comes down for you guys.

What is a reasonable upper end for a "Medium" level for the EF Lewis waterfall run? I noticed that Dreamflows calls 1000 "Max Good", but oregonkayaking.net called 2500 "Medium" flow.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hmm, I can't edit that message after 15 minutes; but looking at the USGS history for that gauge, I do see some other huge moves, like Nov 7, 2006, it hit 17,400; looks like it took longer though, and went from 55 to 17,400 in 6 days.
The only other one-day move this big I see in the past decade was January 30 to 31, 2003, when it went from under 2000 to 13,700; about 11,800 cfs rise in 24 hours.

Now I'm curious if you get "flash floods" in the PNW, with a wave coming through; or if its more of a steady rise...and fairly obvious that its pouring rain I suppose, as opposed to the SW phenomenon where a localized thunderstorm can happen up the watershed from where you are without you knowing necessarily seeing it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lower mesa is always running as is the henrys fork, its spring fed so it runs all winter long. PNW is running as well, shits starting to go off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts