Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info on kayaking the main would be greatly appreciated. is it worth the long drive?

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
there is a fair bit of flatwater. whether it's worth it or not, depends on what you want.
some fairly large GC style drops and then flat water in between. If you are looking for teh gnarz go hit up the SF Salmon to the Main. That would be fun.

When I raft it I am usually drunk so I don't remember much about the individual features. When I take my kids I will be sober and remember more. Huuuuuggggeeee sandy beaches that created a very hot zone between my shade and my beer cooler on the raft. Syringa will be popping all over the canyon and is an olfactory sensation for sure. One of the best smelling rivers ever.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
What part of the "main" just rolled off indian creek to riggins and averaged 9 mph. Just the fact that I was on the river was worth "it" to me.

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts

Kermers (Kramers ?) Rapid on the Main after running the Middle Fork, the only rapid between the confluence and the takeout for the MFS. August 2011, @ 8000 cfs. maybe.

Idaho is freeking EPIC. wish I wasn't 17 hours away....:mrgreen: if that answers anything.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Me and a bud kayaked the main with a couple gear boat rafts along with the goods. We took plenty of time, enjoyed the afternoons in camp waiting till sun went down and it was easy to cook supper. This was a mid august trip and it was hot on the white sand beaches - otherwise it was a mellow laid back trip worth the hi dollar shuttle cost. Next time I go I will take the jet boat shuttle back even tho the cost may be high. Some buds of mine did the jet boat shuttle and said it was a real hoot and excellent way to end a Main Salmon trip.

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
there is a fair bit of flatwater. whether it's worth it or not, depends on what you want.
some fairly large GC style drops and then flat water in between. If you are looking for teh gnarz go hit up the SF Salmon to the Main. That would be fun.

When I raft it I am usually drunk so I don't remember much about the individual features. When I take my kids I will be sober and remember more. Huuuuuggggeeee sandy beaches that created a very hot zone between my shade and my beer cooler on the raft. Syringa will be popping all over the canyon and is an olfactory sensation for sure. One of the best smelling rivers ever.
good answer....!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts