Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think it has released this big since '95.

Maybe paul can add the gauge to the flower.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Watch out for the sketchy drops down past Mineral Ave.

There's a couple of double-drop features down a ways from Mineral Ave. that can be wicked, especially the first one. The drop into it is a no-brainer with a very strong eddy pool. As you set up for part 2, watch your line. At the bottom is a V-wave that overlaps and has a tendancy to push and try to flip you to river right. Thar be some nasty rocks down in thar, Arrrrrrrrrr.

Both my wife and kid have flipped in there (wife was in a duckie at that).

peace

·
Registered
41 Posts
We hit it on Sunday morning. The "magic wave" is definately there, although it is pretty mellow at Sunday's level. Both sides of the wave are surfable (the middle isn't steep enough), and there is a pile on both sides, although not very retentive.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The "Magic" wave is one for the old timers for sure. Great in a RPM. Todays new play boats work alot better at Union or Tressel. Places where the old schoolers would have hated going. Sometimes the memories are better than the present.

·
DP/ Cinematographer
221 Posts
It is in for sure but I do think its a slow wave. However it is almost all foam with Green in the middle. That being said I was looking at it from a distance and didn't get in. Lyle is down there today getting a closer look. He'll give us the 411 later. Hawaii 5.0 is stupid right now, whatever you want you can to it, almost!

get'some!

·
Registered
807 Posts
anyone have any kind of guess how long this surf will be up in Denver. I usually pay no mind to all of this chatter but you kids have me thinking about the drive...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I talked to one of the chatfield reservoir operations folks a while back. They are bypassing the early runoff. It looks like plum creek is pumping 2500+ cfs into chatfield, and the upward staging of releases has been following pretty well with the plum creek input. There are other inputs of course, but my guess is that as long as plum creek is pumping serious water into chatfield, that high releases will continue. It got jacked up again today, 2100+ release with union at 2500cfs! Come get it while its here because this is a rare event.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The NW Sleek was me back in 95...Yeah the wave is slow...but in the newer boats it is prob fun....Old schoolers rule
K Sloane

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It will give up what ever you can do. I hit a few big loop in the botton hole and endless cartwheels. Some of the young guys like Reed, Kyle, and Eric were hitting Helixs, Pistol Flips, PanAms, if you can do the trick it can be done. If you just want to surf and bounce around- you can do that too.

The word is getting out for sure. I was down there Friday with folks from Steamboat, Aspen, Silverthorn and Avon. And, yes even a few of the Golden regulars came out to the scary platte river.

It's funny to watch all the people who've made it their life's passion to turn their noses up at the Platte. Dropping their tails between their legs and having some of the best surfing sessions the state has ever seen. Too funny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts