Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it's good to go if you check the levels on AW. I checked the book for a description and it mentions an 8 1/2 mile flatwater section!!!

Is that flatwater true?
Is it worth all of that??
Is there another way out?? (the book mentions one, but says "Not recommended")
Comparison to any other runs???

Please share your opinions as to what I can expect, cuz if I don't get in some whitewater real soon I am gonna looooose it!!!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've noticed on a few of the other gauges on the AW site, like the upper box, the minimum flow listed was ridiculously low. Everyone I know who has run it has hiked out rather than float the endless flatwater. It sounds like it's a good idea to take the lightest boat you can manage. Maybe Atom will weigh in here...hint, hint....

-Brian :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ran it a couple years ago. We had local guidance; tons of wood. Nothing over class IV. We floated out, a couple of class II-IIIs, probably took and hour and a half on the flatwater. The hike out sucks. The flat stuff is cool for scenery and eagles. I kind of doubt it's running now.[/quote]

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ok, never bdone the Red and have no idea on the flow, but from having done the upper box and hiked out to avoid the flatwater above the lower box, I can tell you its not THAT bad. I THINK the Red comes into the Rio Grande near the end of the U Box just above the last rapid, which you can do and then hike up to the rim, thereby skipping the flats. A map of the area in CRC 2 will show the specifics. Again, I dont remeber the hike out of the Up Box being too bad.....it was actually nice in that it was a cold time of year and it warmed us up.

Seems like the Red might be worth checking in on when something else in the area is running like the Embudo (maybe by mid April?) or Upper Box.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Hike's not that bad, shortens the shuttle

Both times I've done the Box we hiked out. A coulpe of folks were ten minutes behind me and were cussing alot. It was a good workout, but not that big a deal.

I think the hike was somewhere around 1/2 hour, but it was many years ago.

The shuttle to dunn bridge is long and I imagine the hike saves alot of time in the long run.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Is the hike out any worse than the Upper Gauley takeout or the Tallulah put-in? If the hike out is only 30 minutes, it can't be that bad. I'd be up for a trip even if nothing else was running, provided there's no powder. At this point anything sounds good. I confess I went to Confluence two weeks ago...I need help...please, anything....

·
Registered
518 Posts
almost

love this time of year, everyone starts to jonze for the goods. if upper box gets over 300 cfs it is good to go. we have had tons o snow so watch out for big ice blocks and the hike out would be covered in snow and ice. the hick out is 8oo vertical feet in .8 of a mile. some people love it and others cuss. red river is frozen. colorado owes us water so the upper may run well. embudo starts to run well in may. Pueblo may flow also this yr. we are getting pounded by snow...adios, atom..... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts