1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bull Shit

I'm calling Bull Shit Bob.
Left Hand could be cranking and I would take Boulder Ck at 300
Left Hand could be cranking and I would take Bear at 150
Left Hand could be cranking and I would take Black Rock at 250. Ya, 250!
With 1 real rapid I just don't understand. If nobody wrote about this run in the guide books, nobody would ask. It fucking sucks.

Go run the Big T
Go run Boulder Ck
Go run the Soucre
Go run Alto Alto, jesus the 1 rapid in this is way better than Left Hand

If you want to learn how to creek boat, run boulder ck at 300ish and walk the buttress. Run Clear Ck of the Ark at 250. Run Castle Creek. Run Alto high, 500 and up.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
before opening your mouth, did you happen to think: "hmm, maybe this guys isnt lookin for super quality, maybe hes just lookin to knock it off his list?"

but no, we had to get the attitude, but i guess it is ok, because you are the best kayaker on the planet ever, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all yalls opinions!

it is just another to knock off the list. as in the guide book, the word "manky and tight" just turn me on. always have. i love it "steep and deep" too just the same. but without a doubt, virgins are the best and "tight and sweet" is one of the few that will make me dry my booties for just one more day. think i will leave it on the list for now until one of you light the joint and want to fire it up for the [email protected]#* of it. hit me up whenever.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not worth arguing about as it will not run this year unless we get some crazy late season snow. I live up the canyon and it is scary how dry it is right now.

If we get some big spring thunderstorms then it might run for a day or so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
it is just another to knock off the list. as in the guide book, the word "manky and tight" just turn me on. always have. i love it "steep and deep" too just the same. but without a doubt, virgins are the best and "tight and sweet" is one of the few that will make me dry my booties for just one more day. think i will leave it on the list for now until one of you light the joint and want to fire it up for the [email protected]#* of it. hit me up whenever.....
uhh, I'll do both if it runs this year -- I like manky and tight as well.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Left hand is a small creek, with a small drainage area, and the high country snowpack to the west of the canyon near the continental divide gets mostly captured by boulder creek and SSV. Left hand also has a reservoir at the headwaters. This means that left hand flow is usually low, to dog low, to bone dry. Clear creek could be running a solid medium, and left hand could still be a piss trickle. Left hand's primary problem, is flow, it never seems to get enough to make it worth it for most, and when it does have water, the other runs in the area usually have more.

Left hand also does not have an internet gauge, so the level is checked visually. If it does happen to rain enough for left hand to run at a good level (rare), you probably won't know it unless you live right there.

Boaters who live right near left hand probably run it because its right in their backyard (I would too if it were in my backyard), but most boaters would have to drive by runs with way better flows and rapids on their way to left hand, so why bother? It that sense, its not usually worth it as compared to other local options of similar difficulty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Since Sbratt is being a little Bratty, I just have to comment on your advice to run black rock and walk all 3, or to run Boulder Creek and walk Buttress.

That's stupid advice. Why don't you put out a new guide book, the title can be:

Which runs have the best walks

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I like Lefthand,me and my bro clean it every year .It is creekin' light unless it's crankin',mostly iv-/iv [iv+] fairly continuous mank but no very distinct rapids except the crux,few eddies and wood issues.Most real creekers don't bother.It' s redeeming qualities are it runs a little earlier[Apr/May] than Boulder Creek and is easier than the Proving Grounds,Black Rock, or SSV ,but a step up from Shelley's or Alto Alto [ unless it's crankin',never done it above 650].You can easily lap the crux to takeout if you want.There is a gauge, some lines on a rock,by the picnic area at the takeout.Don't run it below the bottom line,sucks.It's fun running these funky micro creeks for some of us.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It has a short runoff season usually a week or two,late April or early May with most of the water coming down James Creek,whenever 10/11,000 ft.ish stuff melts.SSV is the best other creek to gauge it by,when it's rising and almost runnable early,Lefthand probably is going.Later or for a high flow you need rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.