Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a Desolation Canyon trip from the 11th through 18th next month (April) and after hearing about the winds and variable weather that happens this time of year there, I think I want a motor to help push down the flatwater sections.

Anyone on here within easy drive of Denver or somewhere between here and Deso have a motor they will rent or let me borrow? I can leave a deposit just in case it gets damaged too.

Post up or Let me know via PM if you have something. The raft I bought came with a transom, so I just need the motor.

Cheers,

Josh

·
Registered
140 Posts
Josh do you know that you will need a boat registration, numbers and a fire extinguisher to go with the motor?

Otherwise they will not allow the motor on the river.

Rob

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh do you know that you will need a boat registration, numbers and a fire extinguisher to go with the motor?

Otherwise they will not allow the motor on the river.

Rob
yes....I do know all that. I just don't want to throw down on purchasing a motor if I can find a good deal on renting one. The only place I've found in Denver only has the 9.9hp one which is a bit big for this use IMHO.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You're doing an 8 day trip, and it's running >2k now and will likely only go up from there in the next couple weeks, so I wouldn't bother with a motor. The flat isn't _that_ long. Go through the hassle of rigging in a motor when you only have time for a 4 or 5 day trip. And unless someone will loan you a lightweight 3 horse, might as well go for the 9.9 if you're going to haul metal with you. That way, when the motor's running you'll really be making time rather than just making noise.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to offend any of you guys...but I asked whether someone had a motor they were willing to rent...not whether to take one or not. If I hadn't already made the decision to do so, I wouldn't have asked.

I almost bought a 4hp 4 stroke off of Craigslist today, but decided to see if someone here had one they wanted some help paying off in return for its use so I didn't have to spend a much larger chunk of money buying one.

I've researched the crap out of this, and the 4-6hp ones are the best weight to power ratio.

If you have one you want to rent....please respond. If not, I'll figure something else out.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How big is your raft? I have run a 9 hp on my 14' before, no problem with the weight.
Its an 16' Avon Pro. I'm sure it can take the weight of a 9hp one...its just a bigger more massive motor compared to the next step down in size and I do want to dismount it after the flatwater unless the water gets crappy so the difference in size and weight definitely makes a difference for storage.

edit: Here is what I mean....

The 4-6hp ones are all the same size and they are about half the size and 30 pounds or so difference in weight compared to the 8-9.9hp ones. Weight difference isn't huge, but the size definitely is.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm trying to enjoy the trip...not fight the weather. There is a very real possibility that I'll regret bringing one if the weather is great, but it might not be too.

Maybe I'm just listening to the stories the trip leader is telling too much. He said the trip he did last year the same week there was two days of snow and so much wind that they had forced layover days because they couldn't make any headway. He said four trips that launched the day after him were forced to share a small beach camp because of the weather for a day too.

Honestly though....you guys are giving me misgivings about it now too...so who knows if I'll throw down on it or not at this point.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,258 Posts
Honestly, I'm a recent convert to the no-motor for Deso camp. We had one in the group last year and when when the wind kicked up the first day our group began to get spread out with the strongest rower in front and the weakest falling far behind. We decided to strap together while the last raft caught up to us. When he pulled up, he said, "Oh know, I don't want to use the motor. It's just the first day." That set the tone, and the pace, for the trip. The next day the wind kicked up again and the no-motor guy was really sore from the first day and agreed to motor up. Another raft decided HE didn't want to use the motor and rowed ahead of us. And stayed ahead of us. After that, we decided as a group we would only use it for an emergency.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't have a motor to rent so the rest of my reply might be a waste of info to you but here is my two cents. Watch craigslist and pick up an inexpensive unit. I would go with the smallest HP that you can muster. Watch the video on the first page of this thread.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/3-5hp-motor-sufficient-57896.html

That was a 3.5hp motor pushing 11 rafts. Your not going to be able to accomplish big speed with a motor, just enough to help from the rowing if you need it. So go with a small one that is light, creates less emissions, and you carry less fuel.

I prefer no motor, but I think they have their place. Especially when you just don't have the days to do more miles. But beware many folks HATE motors and will "shun" you. A buddy of mine floated Deso last year with a motored group and when they passed other groups, some of them would all turn their backs with no words or gestures, ust "shun". I laughed when he told me that story, but really how sad that there are some people that cant understand that some people just don't have the days to do it like others.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Since this thread is newer - I'm looking at a 3hp gamefisher 2 stroke right now, but I'm a little confused on the long v short shaft measurements. The motor I'm considering is 17" from the top of the mount to the top of the cavitation plate. Should I keep my eyes out for one closer to 20" for an NRS 130? Sorry to hijack, but not really.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dude, no motor no worries. I've rowed this thing a lot more than I have motored it. Just makes for a long day 1 which is fine. I'm there to be on the water and not to worry about trivial things, like rowing my boat too much.....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude, no motor no worries. I've rowed this thing a lot more than I have motored it. Just makes for a long day 1 which is fine. I'm there to be on the water and not to worry about trivial things, like rowing my boat too much.....
Fair enough. I think I'm still going to pick up that 5hp from CaverDan but we don't necessarily have to use it. I would like to use one on Cataract next time I ever do it, and its a decent deal and the size I'm looking for.

It may seem like it with this thread, but I'm not someone who is gung ho to use a motor, but I see certain situations that its a nice thing to have.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,258 Posts
Just another thing to consider if bringing a motor on Deso is how you will be able to stow it. My friend had his pulled up and turned to the side and it took a pretty good hit running through Coal Creek. He had borrowed it and was very relieved he didn't damage it.

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just another thing to consider if bringing a motor on Deso is how you will be able to stow it. My friend had his pulled up and turned to the side and it took a pretty good hit running through Coal Creek. He had borrowed it and was very relieved he didn't damage it.

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz
I have a large plastic storage box that I plan on bringing to stow it inside under my gear pile behind me. Not sure if it will fit though. I definitely don't plan on having it on the transom during rapids.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts