Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flows page on DWR show it has 90+ cfs in it, which sounds like a good bit for a small drainage. Looks like its between clear creek and coal creek, and it meanders away from the road for a while. Most of the other drainages (bear, clear, south boulder, boulder, left hand, st. vrain, and even turkey) have some info on them or have been boated by somebody at somepoint.

Any info? More curious than anything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I grew up in Arvada and 90cfs in there sounds big. I'd look west of Hwy 93. Once it gets to Arvada Res it's mellow, and goes through parks with small culverts. Did a part of the creek in a Kmart raft once.

Jed

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I've pondered this one as well. The res above 93 is in jealously gaurded mining zone. I know there are super high end custom homes above, that advertise gold medal fishing. I think access will be challenging.

dave

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Stealth boating in uncharted waters? Sounds like fun to me. How's the gradient in there? On a sidenote, there was a ton of water (90ish cfs) pouring out of the North Fork of Clear Creek the other day. Has anybody ever looked at this? Flat? Steep? Woody? Worthless?

COUNT

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've never looked at the north fork myself, but my general impression is manky and brushy, and I've heard not really worth it. Never looked too carefully at ralson creek itself but there is a roadside bit to it in Golden Gate state park. It then flows through white ranch openspace for a bit before ending in ralson reservior. I've hike around there a bit and despite million dollar trophy homes in the region, I think most of the creek is publically owned albiet with resticted access. I'd be curious to hear what its like if anyone does it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Access to the ralston res. is restricted. The land on surrounding the creek upstream of the resivoir towards Ralston Buttes is "closed open space".

There are some big trouts there.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked at a map. Looks like 7 miles from golden gate state park down to the res. Gradient appears to be in the 150-200 ft / mile range according to the gazetteer. Don't have a detailed topo of it.

I know the access would be challenging to say the least. What is intriguing is a front range creek away from the road with little to no beta. Tempting...

It peaked a few days ago and its on the way down now. It will be gone by the end of the weekend probably.

I'm going to go take a look just for giggles on friday...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts