Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working with a couple people who are trying to do a last minute lottery entry at rec.gov for the San Juan. All lottery dates now have the "X" indicating the date is not available and no "L" (lottery) dates show up.

Supposed to have until midnight EST today to enter the lottery.

?????

Gene

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Had same problem…..gave up.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hmmm, botched when I try as well. Someone made a mistake on the rec.gov side as you can't even apply for the pre or post permit lottery dates. Assuming they should open it up longer until its fixed or they will have a legitimate issue on their hand for those of us trying to apply.

Phillip

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Don't go to your date along the left border- go to the lottery page and the date calendar should pop up when you click the empty box? Worked fine for me a couple nights ago- but the home page is a little confusing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
It all popped up ok but there were exes on all the dates as if the lottery was over and the permits had been awarded.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Don't go to your date along the left border- go to the lottery page and the date calendar should pop up when you click the empty box? Worked fine for me a couple nights ago- but the home page is a little confusing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
How do you get to the lottery page? The one I am on says it the lottery and reservation page but is exhibiting the stated problem.

Phillip

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Ok I made my application a week ago no problem but my friend who doesn't have a computer (GOD bless him) wanted to make a last minute application. I had him over and we couldn't make it work. It worked for me a week ago and it didn't work for him this afternoon. We made several other applications and had no problem. There is indeed a problem with the site.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
I've given up trying. We have a few applications for the same date but not 4. Looking forward to hear back from the powers that be and hopefully we won something.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Having the same problem, hopefully they will extend the application time. I sent the BLM an email with my info and that rec.gov was'nt working.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A little threadjack coming, but it's also recreation.gov ...

I'm an old hand at the GC lottery, but doing one for Deso-Grey for the first time. I'm still a little confused about why there's a lottery when you also seem to be able to just reserve dates, but that's not my question. I accidentally put in two September dates I wanted, but because the date thing keeps coming back to May, the last two were for May (dumb, I know). Can I call 'em Monday and change it, or at least delete those two May dates (I can't go in May) ? If I win a May permit, then what ? Do I get dinged for a big permit fee like on the Grand, or am I just out the $6 ? Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can not change anything about the permit once submitted. If you draw the May permit your choices are to go or cancel. As to the cash outlay if you draw, I believe you have 30 days to confirm the permit which requires paying for at least one person ($25). You can then wait to add peeps (up to 25) until you actually print the permit. Payment is required at the time you add folks to the permit.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If you loose, you loose the $6.00, but since you played the lottery you can apply for cancellations when they are posted, after the lottery.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If you loose, you loose the $6.00, but since you played the lottery you can apply for cancellations when they are posted, after the lottery.
In theory, that is not how recreation.gov should work now for the San Juan permit. The $6 was solely for the lottery and is non-refundable and non-transferable if a date is not won. All cancellations and available launches will be released after March 16th and anyone can apply for them through the website. In the past you needed to apply for the lottery and have a application on file to pick up unreserved launches but that is no longer the case. Now you just need a recreation.gov account. The $6 fee is for each lottery application and each new permit transaction thereafter.

That transaction fee is the $$ that goes to the for-profit company that runs recreation.gov and has nothing to do with permitting cost itself.

Phillip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,

Due to an inputting error the San Juan River permit lottery closed 12 hours earlier than intended (9:59 am MT, instead of 9:59 pm MT on Sat). The lottery will reopen for those lost 12 hours on Tuesday 2/3/15, from 10:00 am MT to 9:59 pm MT. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, please call my office at (435) 587-1544.

Silas Sparks
Recreation Assistant
Monticello BLM

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me Phillip. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that you still had to play to have a chance for a cancellation. I'm so unlucky when it comes to winning lotteries. :(

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hi All,

Due to an inputting error the San Juan River permit lottery closed 12 hours earlier than intended (9:59 am MT, instead of 9:59 pm MT on Sat). The lottery will reopen for those lost 12 hours on Tuesday 2/3/15, from 10:00 am MT to 9:59 pm MT. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, please call my office at (435) 587-1544.

Silas Sparks
Recreation Assistant
Monticello BLM
Thanks Silas for that.

We'll assume a delay on San Juan posting and I'll refrain from complaining.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts