Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am considering a duckie / packraft down the lower Yampa (Deer Lodge - Split Mountain) in early September. I was wondering if anyone out there has already done this? My research shows flows anywhere from 300 cfs down to as low as 40 (although that was 2012 - probably not that low this year). If it is super low, I will use a packraft. Otherwise I will use my hyside duckie.

Any advice? How are the rapids at this level? I've run this section in my 16' raft three times - @ 17K, 7K, and 3.5K. I am prepared to scout every rapid if possible and portage if necessary. I am really curious to see how it is as super-low flows.

Here are the historical flows since 2007 (cool graph!)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! Lynne

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
A friend just got back last week. Sounds like Warm Springs is easy and the most difficult part of the trip was dodging sandbars in murky water. You will have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Be ready to carry gear from time to time. Having hiked up river from Echo Park to Warm Springs, I would think it likely to have it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think it would be great...i used to work in Dino...the only question is, how many days will the park let you take? I ran it at end of high use season some years at 1500 in 18 ft passenger.gear raft....its very slow...haven't seen warm springs since rock fall...uyse to have to run way left slot at low water.i would love to spend ;like 8 days just in yampa Canyon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts