Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone cut the floor out of their phat cat to make it better for rowing.

On a side note with as popular as the Phat Cat has become for rowing and gear boating, I wonder if RMR has considered making a somewhat easily removable floor.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't know why anyone would want to do this... If you cut out the floor you make it so that your paddlecat can no longer be paddled. Yes, a lot of people put frames on their Phat Cats and row them (me included), but that's not really what it was designed for and it's not an ideal rowing setup so why relegate it to a row-only boat? If that's what you're looking for you should have just gotten a cataraft with a sport frame.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know why anyone would want to do this... If that's what you're looking for you should have just gotten a cataraft with a sport frame.
At least one person has mentioned considering doing this (not me, I don't yet have one but I'm planning to get one down the road). As far as why a Phat Cat/paddle cat for rowing. If you're in an area with crappy put-ins and takeout, and you want a lightweight, cheap setup, you can't beat a paddle cat. You can get one for the cost of two tubes but the frame is less complex and most folks that don't work out a lot or have back issues can self carry one down to the water or portage around dams. You aren't doing that with a sport cat without a very expensive custom frame and custom fittings.

I think GoLight sells the closest cataraft to a paddle cat with a simple frame but it's probably more expensive and it doesn't use standard parts. I considered golight but I off the shelf parts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
At least one person has mentioned considering doing this (not me, I don't yet have one but I'm planning to get one down the road). As far as why a Phat Cat/paddle cat for rowing. If you're in an area with crappy put-ins and takeout, and you want a lightweight, cheap setup, you can't beat a paddle cat. You can get one for the cost of two tubes but the frame is less complex and most folks that don't work out a lot or have back issues can self carry one down to the water or portage around dams. You aren't doing that with a sport cat without a very expensive custom frame and custom fittings.

I think GoLight sells the closest cataraft to a paddle cat with a simple frame but it's probably more expensive and it doesn't use standard parts. I considered golight but I off the shelf parts.
I was one of the people that posted to asked about replacing my floor with a mesh like the material for the “spray skirt” on the front. But wasn’t brave enough to do it. At this point I am planning on selling the phat cat for a mini max. Personally, I found the phat cat pretty miserable to paddle due to the large tubes, but I never liked paddling position much anyhow.
I was disappointed at how little weight it could carry before that miserable floor started dragging.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm 250lbs and so is the guy I usually paddle with. That floor has never been a problem in any way. I really wonder what in the world people are doing with these...

I've also used it as a gear boat with 2 trailer frames, fully loaded. No need at all to worry about the floor as far as we've ever seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts