Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....to do something fun and make decent money? ARRRRGGHHHH I can't stand my job.

I'm smart, educated, experienced in I.T. and marketing. Somebody should hire me to do anything at all except the stupid crap I've been doing, I'd be good at it!

·
Registered
480 Posts
All my positions are on the front range. May not work for a valley boy.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the front range thing once, don't know if I could move back there. Maybe I should move to "Montucky" where things are cheaper than Vail.

·
Registered
274 Posts
WL,
If you find something-- anything-- that pays the bills and leaves a few $$ left over for play, I'll be happy to split the job with ya'!! ;) I could use a change of pace... and scenery.... and geographic location... and..... well, just about everything! LOL

All my experience is in healthcare, I have several years' legal researcher experience on federal issues regarding healthcare, legal asst/ paralegal exp on malpractice/ contracts/ operations (in healthcare), and am currently doing strictly operational (healthcare) research. I've been a jack-of-all-trades in my current job, though, doing everything from marketing to graphics to layout (PR) to illustration to web-hosting to classroom facilitation and copywriting/ editorial duties. So who wants to move me to CO to work?? ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
you know what they say though.....
jack of all trades, master of none....??
<*sigh*>

;)

As kind as it is to offer me your job though, WL, I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully decline.... you probably have good reason for thinking it sucks, and as nice as it would be to move to CO, I'm afraid I just can't justify trading one sh!t job for another right now! LOL

(at this point, slinging beers and/ or swinging around a brass pole are looking pretty good in comparison, if that's any indicator....) ;)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm too hairy to swing around on poles.

Ski Instruction and Raft Guiding are starting to sound good to me. Only problem is I have a Vail Valley mortgage payment. I guess I could sell it, but it is the only investment I've ever made that had some serious growth. Now everything is almost too expensive for me to ever get back into if I sold!

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
The problem is that the "cool" jobs in the "fun" industries tend to pay squat; at least in Colorado. I had marketing positions in the outdoor industry for the last four years, and left them to go make more money and get better benefits in a different industry (tech). There are a few exceptions I suppose, but generally similar titles in other industries make significantly more (20% +) and tend to have better mobility in the long run. I looked for awhile to get into a different outdoor company, but the scenarios with pay were still bleak compared to other options & most opportunites were out-of-state. Plus, outdoor companies tend to have very low turnover in upper management, so upward career moves take a measure of patience that exceeds my limits. Hell- I had NO VACATION the first year in an outdoor rec company, worked about 200 hours out of a regular workweek with no compensation, all while making barely enough to afford a house in Denver. (Ironic, huh? Espousing a lifestyle of 'getting outdoors' while refusing their employees that lifestyle.) They know that there's a line out the door of folks who will take a pay cut and work their ass off for a "fun" company. Not to say it wasn't all bad- I got tsome good experience and had some fun.

Now that I have access to the pro deals through friends in the industry, I can go out and actually try to get ahead. Just a word of caution- maybe your job isn't that fulfilling, but it could be worse- you live in a mountain town and own your own place.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehehehe....he said "erected"

I was looking more along the lines of:

"I'll pay 6 figures to go paddling/camping/skiing/hiking everyday"

I recently lost my grandfather and also a friend of mine was in a crippling motorcycle accident that left him severely brain damaged. Both of these events make you want to not spend the younger years of your life wishing you were somewhere else or doing something else all day...

·
Registered
453 Posts
You found an IT job in Vail????

Let me make sure I understand this. You have an IT job in Vail???? If that is the case, just let me know when you are quitting and I'll send them a resume. Try living in Saudi Aurora!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
you are all welcome to move to summit county, and work for me. I mean pay sucks, but hey, out on a mountain and getting paid for it. keystone mountain/lift operations.

·
Registered
214 Posts
my name is Brian Kosena. he was one of my frat brothers in boulder. have you been down here to see if recently? it sounds like he is making some big steps. the whole experience has sure changed my perspective on things too. couldn't agree with you more, get out of your job if you dont' enjoy it, there are much better ways to make a living than a job you can't stand.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts