Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Done it plenty on the Carlson river board, it's way more stable to stay kneeling but standing up is possible if you're small. Idk about sup, should be easier to stand on than a three foot long piece of foam. If you are planning on swimming into the wave you'll have to pick a good hole with eddys that pull you into the hole without much effort. I'd usually just jump into the wave from the side off a rock, idk if that's advisable on a SUP.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Pipeline, lunch counter and brennan's are regularly surfed without a paddle. I'm sure there are plenty of others as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I used a Badfish 6'11" river surfer "pop-up style" in the Durango park last summer a number of times, worked great. This was at lower flows, it was really fun.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
55 Posts
The Scout Wave in Salida works really well for pop-up style because it has great eddy access. The Badfish River Surfer is sweet because it is narrow enough to still paddle while lying down. It can be difficult if your board is super wide, unless you have a giant wing span.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Scout Wave in Salida works really well for pop-up style because it has great eddy access. The Badfish River Surfer is sweet because it is narrow enough to still paddle while lying down. It can be difficult if your board is super wide, unless you have a giant wing span.
Good info, thanks. Most of my surfing will be in Pueblo.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you are ever in Massachusetts and the Connecticut river is over 55,000 CFS you can shred up Wave-o-saurus! (This picture is showing the wave fairly small, at approximately 55K)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Corner Pocket and Ponderosa in Durango are great to Shortboard. Custom river Simmons from TLsurf.com

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
16 Posts
All of you going to think I am crazy, but actually moved to Colorado 3 years ago to just surf rivers from the Ocean. Grew up surfing the reef breaks of Hawaii, California, and Caribbean, from Pipeline to epic point breaks, but have more fun searching out inland waves in the arteries we call rivers. I have found waves in irrigation canals and in the middle of no where, its like the stoke and adventure of early surfing days all over again. Plus I don't miss sharks, aggro trendy pop culture crowded line ups of kooks who think their too cool. So to answer the question, I mostly use a rockered surfboard and works fine. "Rocky Mountain Aloha"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts