Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did Stone Bridge to Rincon on July 21 at about 1000 CFS in 3 open canoes with airbags and had a great time. We are planning to go back on Aug 25.

With much less water expected what kind of a ride can I expect?

Do you think we should consider another section instead?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
i would say it will be around 350cfs unless it rains a huge amount. I would choose another section if it were me.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
When I did it, we were close to dragging in a number of places at 1250. My guess is that you will be dragging almost the entire way anywhere under 600.

COUNT

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
what r u looking for cause browns is ok at that level if you put in at ruby mtn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
16 miles or so 2s and 3s

Thanks for answering. I need som advice from people who know the river.

I'm looking to do something similar to what Stone Bridge to Rincon was like on July 21 at about 900 or so. We are doing it in 3 open canoes with airbags. We did good everywhere except Bear Creek Rapid. There we had our least experienced guys take a swim and we had to fish them out. One book I have shows it as a class IV at 900. Do you think it is a III or a IV?

Basically we want a good time and don't want to have to do much dragging bottom, but we probably can't handle much more than what Bear Creek is at 900.

My book shows Ruby to Stone at about 11 miles with several IVs at low water. I would love to try it. Do you think 2 guys in a 15 or 17' canoe with full airbags and good experience could do it at 350cfs or so?

My book doesn't really rate the rapids that low. Would Browns even have any IVs at 350?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Brown's doesn't have any IV's (except maybe Seidel's at certain levels) and neither does Stone Bridge to Rincon. Brown's is mostly III with a couple III+'s but gets technical under 500. SB to Rincon is III- with a couple III's.
Brown's would be a step up from SB to Rinc but would might be doable for you guys with a guide. If it's running, you might want to look at the Lower Blue. Also, the Colorado from Shoshone down to Two Rivers Park or South Canyon would be good (put-in above Shoshone if you're feeling good or below if you want mellower). This will definitely be running. You could also do the Upper Colorado from Pumphouse to Rancho, Statebridge, Bond, or any other take-out (this has decent camping, a hotsprings, cliff-jumping, and some solid III's in mostly II-III scenic setting).

COUNT

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
hecla to big bend

not sure if this applies, but i did hecla to big bend yesterday without touching a single rock, super fun and no problem rapids. there are some shallow shoals but there is a main current through all of them and I had no problem.

also did kobe to granite and had a blast, saw a damn moose in the arkansas river as well as like fifty deer and like ten elk

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
yeti, the difference will be that he is looking for a trip after the water drops.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Whate would Stone to Rincon be like @ 350 compared to 900?

There probably won't be any real rapids and I would expect lots of dragging. Personally, I wouldn't do it under 600.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where best on Colorado?

Thanks,

I really appreciate you guy's help. Where is your best recomendation of about an 18 mile run on Colorado with several IIIs and no IVs. Also what about water temp that late? Will it be getting pretty cold?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'd suggest the Upper Colorado.....namely from Pumphouse campground to State Bridge. The water and air temps shouldn't be cold per Colorado standards. August and September are usually warm and nice. The snow hits more toward October. Great camp sites along the river with fire rings, pit toilets, and picnic tables, so you don't need to haul all those things with you. Perfect for an overnight canoe trip.

If you get out here soon enough, you could stiil hit the Ark at around 600csf. It's running around 1000 right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do'in Salida this weekend

We are coming out Sat Aug 11 to run Stone to Rincon in 2 kayaks and 1 canoe. If we do well we might try Browns on Sunday.

Do you think a 15' canoe with airbags can do Browns at 1000 or whatever it is right now?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm not a canoer but I don't see any real problems running a 15' canoe down Browns. Especially if you can get it down the Stone Bridge to Rincon run. It's easy to portage and scout anything in Browns with the train track right there. Trains quit running on it several years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyone want to go with us Saturday?

I would like to do Browns Saturday if I could do it with someone who had done it before.
We are a clean cut bunch and get along with most everyone who don't drink and cuss unreasonably around us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts