Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come home early from a family vacation and am very anxious to float the Chama this year. I was wondering if anyone had any space on a permit perhaps for this weekend? It would just be me and my dog on a 14 foot self bailing raft. Maybe one other person. I can carry on my own gear and be self-sufficient as well as help with anyone else's gear as I will have a lot of space. And turns out, I'm pretty damn fun to hang around. :) and did I mention I'm an excellent chef?

Alternatively, I was thinking about doing the Chama daily on Saturday and will be looking for anyone interested in doing the same for shuttle purposes. Let me know.

Thanks !

-Will
(In Dolores Co)

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can always call the Taos BLM office to see if they have a cancellation for an El Vado launch. Since this isn't the lottery season (think it ends sometime in June), they may give you a permit just for asking not that there's any time to mail it to you. While I don't have a permit, I might be interested in running the daily on Sat and maybe again on Sun. Let me talk to a few boaters to see if anyone is interested in riding up. Looks like its at a good level right now and I think the rainy weather should clear out by the weekend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chama...

Good call Steve...

I'll call and find out... I dont mean to start a whole new thread on the topic, but can I do the Vado float in two nights?

But your alternate plan of running the daily on each day sounds great...let me know what you find out.... I'd have to figure out if I want to leave Dolores friday night or ass-early saturday.... when would you want to launch?

-Will

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can run the Chama down to 106 cfs. It will take you five days though. Lets go and sit in the hot springs! Self support kayak only though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@billycrack...

I'm in if you'll have me :) just let me know as soon as you can so can duck outta work and get packed.

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good call Steve...

I'll call and find out... I dont mean to start a whole new thread on the topic, but can I do the Vado float in two nights?

But your alternate plan of running the daily on each day sounds great...let me know what you find out.... I'd have to figure out if I want to leave Dolores friday night or ass-early saturday.... when would you want to launch?

-Will
We usually do the 32-mi float from Vado to Big Eddy as an overnighter and even did it in one day (~7 hrs 24 min) years ago in a 10-ft raft, but don't recommend it. I think two nights out would be about optimum at this level unless you want to spend a lot of time hiking and/or hanging around camp/hot springs. Nobody I know can go, so go ahead and have fun with that bunch out of Durango.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. And damn, this website is amazing. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just gotta say how much fun I had with bill and friends. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to meet new friends and explore new rivers. Thanks bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chama Permit

Will, If your looking for a Chama permit for Labor Day weekend, I don't think you need one. This may just be a prior post. I have some photos from last Sunday of your group.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chama 1 day Saturday. I'm looking for a group or person to run the Chama just for Saturday. I have an inflatable Kayak, but probably fit into the rafting group, not real kayakers. I can also go to Durango or Pagosa but don't know the rivers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts