Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have an April 14th launch. Has anyone gone this early? The weather will be hit or miss, more curious about the fishing at that time.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Take hand warmers and extra meals. It could ice up and you have to stay an extra day or two. Mega warm sleeping bags and fire wood + more fire wood. A hot tent would be super nice. Have fun and be prepared for the worst and you will get the best. It will snow for sure IMHO. If your guides do not ice up it will be possible to fish but not Katy bar the door fishing or even close to that. I have never done that early of a trip but I have had to break the ice off my tent at the put in in June 1st to get out of it.

·
Renaissance *******
1,349 Posts
I got a cancellation last year real easy because of quarantine but I don't think so this year.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
gwmcbride, on the other hand, think good thoughts, these gents made it work in april.

great images, if you like classic rock, a good way to spend ten minutes time on a cold day by a warm fire.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its either cold or low or perfect lol. We launched June 19th last year at 800 something. Had sun entire trip and clearing water. I think you need an anchor and a 20 year old to row for fishing. Only the deep corners fished all that well. Theres way better fishing elsewhere but its a pretty river for sure . Just needs 20 class 3's and 4 class 4's and it would be more better!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
You know belt creek through sluice box is better...can't do big long trip but could overnight and hunt turkeys around there. Way better and same $hit weather, same hit or miss flow, no permit, no people, no rich guy houses, no giant guide camps, no fancy fisherman , better whitewater. Smith is a "park" feels like a "park" and is over run with tourists. Just saying so you can save your money for a new barbecue or something. The good fish are somewhere other than the smith if you insist its a fishing trip. Try the beaverhead...

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
You know belt creek through sluice box is better...can't do big long trip but could overnight and hunt turkeys around there. Way better and same $hit weather, same hit or miss flow, no permit, no people, no rich guy houses, no giant guide camps, no fancy fisherman , better whitewater. Smith is a "park" feels like a "park" and is over run with tourists. Just saying so you can save your money for a new barbecue or something. The good fish are somewhere other than the smith if you insist its a fishing trip. Try the beaverhead...
Shhhh...

I believe you meant to say that Belt Creek never gets good flows and is nothing but undercut cliffs and boat ripping railroad debris. If you're not familiar with it Belt Creek is garbage and no good floating can be found :p

·
Renaissance *******
1,349 Posts
I called the cancelation line a couple of times last week, nothing. I heard there likely won't be much availibility because they are honoring out of state permits from last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called the cancelation line a couple of times last week, nothing. I heard there likely won't be much availibility because they are honoring out of state permits from last year.
Called this morning about cancellations. They have a couple for next week but wont work with my schedule.

·
Renaissance *******
1,349 Posts
Called this morning about cancellations. They have a couple for next week but wont work with my schedule.
Sweet. I was hoping some out of staters would cancel. Next week wont work for me either but I figure I'll try the week before I can go.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts