Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to float and camp for 2 nights with a 5 year old. Any recommendations on something with good camping that is class III or less?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,962 Posts
Check out the Upper Colorado from Pumphouse on down.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check out Ruby/Horsethief on the Colorado out by Grand Junction. Lots of side hikes, great camping, and class 2 at the worst in a raft. We typically do 2 and a half days/2 nights on the river which makes for a nice liesurely float. Rimrock Adventures in Fruita has a shuttle service from the take out back to Fruita.

·
Registered
323 Posts
There's a 2 day section on the San Juan river from Sand Island to Mexican Hat, that is scenic and Class IIish. Its permit controlled, but a lot of people bail on their trips one month prior to their launch when it comes time to pay for it, so you can frequently pick something up. The link below it to the BLM San Juan Page.

http://www.blm.gov/utah/monticello/river.htm

·
Registered
105 Posts
It may be a little short, just an overnighter, but also consider the Gunnison from Escalante to Whitewater. There's great hiking at Little Dominguez Canyon.

alan

·
Registered
971 Posts
Pumphouse would be good, but just to let you know, the Upper C goes on for pretty much all class II (except for maybe the rodeo drop in Burns, a class III) all the way to Dotsero. There is BLM camping all over too. If you'd like, PM me, and I'll send you the BLM Upper Colorado guide that has a river map with camp sites, etc.

Fishing might be pretty good there now too. Bring your rod if you have one.

-d

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just got back from a float from Pumphouse to Ranch Del Rio with two 2 year olds and a 4 year old. Nice easy float and good camp sites.

We didn't fish much, had our hands full with the kids, but the water is still a little off color. Should be getting better over the next week or two.

·
Registered
172 Posts
love to join you

kayceejake
I have been taking my 5 year old down some runs in our duckie, with some support from my kayaking buddies. I think my boy would enjoy some runs with another 5 year old. Check your PM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts