Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Congrats on becoming a mom! I have been an avid kayaker for the last 10+ years and became a mom in 2007. I now have two kids ages 2 years and 2 months. Kayaking is still important to me and I try to get out as much as possible. It would be great to get together both on and off the river. My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah! River Mammas unite! I'm not much of a kayaker, (knee issues) but am a guide,
(& have been for 10 yrs!) I took last summer off to be a full time stay at home mom, but am going back to work this year... it feels sooooo good to be working again! I got out play boating a couple of times last year, but it's just not the same...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Oops sorry Rivermamma
My wife accidentally logged in with my username.
Her user name is Raleigh and I think she left her email on here to contact her directly :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hiya! we take our babes out all the time! only class 2 with them. they are 3 and 6. I have been working as a guide again too. out of moab. one or two trips a year, so far...
hey i used to live in crestone, and my hubby did for 7 yrs.. maybe we know you?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hiya! we take our babes out all the time! only class 2 with them. they are 3 and 6. I have been working as a guide again too. out of moab. one or two trips a year, so far...
hey i used to live in crestone, and my hubby did for 7 yrs.. maybe we know you?
Yeah, class II for my baby too, but by 6 my dad had me on class III. I'v been getting some work, it's still early season here though, had a trip yesterday & one comming up this sat. Anyways, Crestone... we've only been there about 2-3yrs. My Name is Elisha, my husband's name is Alex (he has a big red beard & long red hair, I'm tall & blonde.) We play celtic music... you might have seen us at the buskers fest a few years back before we moved there. How long have you been in Payonia? I'm sure if we haven't met, we have mutual friends, Crestone is a smal town... There are actually a suprising number of moms there who used to guide! Only two of us who still do...

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah ladies

Hi Ladies, I am a mom and would love to meet others that paddle (either double blade or single blade). I am in the Fort Collins area so pm me if any of you are around these parts! I hope all of you mamas get out there on the river!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ladies, I am a mom and would love to meet others that paddle (either double blade or single blade). I am in the Fort Collins area so pm me if any of you are around these parts! I hope all of you mamas get out there on the river!
I'm in Salida... sometimes. It's kinda close. Thinking about doing a mamma/ kiddo Ark float sometime in July...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a mom and getting into boating. If you're ever in the Roaring Fork Valley let me know. Trying to get out there are meet other ladies to boat with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
River Momming, nothing like it! Took my son of six on two 5 day commercial deso trips 2007. Took my entire family (dad, me, son 7 and daughter's first 4) on a commercial 6 day San Juan 2008. My husband balked as he was not able to row so much in the commercial limelight, so we take on a three day San Juan with two other families June 12 2009.
Hint (in Utah) the May West life vest reads for youth under 90 pounds. If it fits well, the water levels suitable, littler children can raft commercially under this regulation. But take along the Class III and exchange the May West for this lighter PFD to play at the water's edge in camp.
And I find wrapping soft, worn bandanas around the life vest front panels alleviates the chaffing little kids can amass from multiple days of PFD wearing.
Nice to meet you. I am crazy chatty. I beg your pardon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to meet you ladies! Cmonkey- I don't get over to the western slope very often, but when I do I will let you know. Also, if you ever make it over to the Arkansas, or down to the Rio Grande, drop me a line!
Moab Enthalpy- have fun on the San Juan! I think I was 5 on my first San Juan trip! How wierd is it to be a customer? (do you guide or just private boat?) I don't think I could ever get away with beeing a customer... even if I payed to be one I would still probly sleep in the kitchen & be the first one up putting on coffee water & busting out the bacon, break down the grover out of pure habit, & rush to find a spoon or splash top for another customer... I think the only comercial trips my daughter will ever go on will be as an extra ride allong, when she's old enough to help mommy out while working. Anyways, I have a super nice Stohlquest PFD for her. My dad used to put duct tape on the front of my PFD to stop the chaffing... it worked. BTW, no pardon needed, I'm obviously pretty chatty myself! Also, your the first person on here I'v seen who has been on the water longer than me! Right on!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
experimenting with smilies from another forum...bear with me here...
:love :lol :stillheart:

damn... well, those ones didn't work... lets see here...
:) ;)

ok, those ones work... so how do I transfer smilies from another forum to work here... anyone know?
:0 :p

those ones didn't work either... :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
i used to kayak a ton before my daughter was born, she's 8 now. i found it was so time consuming and i just didn't want to take the time away. we bought a 13 ft raft last year and have been LOVING it, lot's of daytrips, overnighters, we're doing 5 days on labrynth at the end of this month. i am so stoked to be on the river and the kiddos love it too!!! good to see other mama's on here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, anyone up for something on the Poudre on monday, 6/15? I would be happy to do bridges, fliter plant, or am up for suggestions. I have been working all weekend and really want to get on the water!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all you river moms with kids...can you throw some Class I or easy Class II (kid friendly) suggestions out there? So much of Colorado is awesome for the experienced, but I'm not finding much that's suitable for (5 and 7 year old) beginning rafters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all you river moms with kids...can you throw some Class I or easy Class II (kid friendly) suggestions out there? So much of Colorado is awesome for the experienced, but I'm not finding much that's suitable for (5 and 7 year old) beginning rafters.
My kids are the same ages as yours and I've been boating with them since they were babies - We just did Deso a few weeks ago and I would suggest it, however it is flipping and pinning non-experienced rafters in the new Joe hutch rapid (high water. . . so ?). Ruby Horsethief outside of Grand Junction is really nice for kids. The moab town run is great, also there are quite a few runs in the Arkansas valley if the water level is good.

That was just a few that I could think of for new rafters but there are so many rivers and so little time! Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm SO glad to see other RiverMommas out there!!!
Our son (John) has been on the river since he was 4 months old. We had a hard time finding good "little" gear and wanted him to be safe AND comfortable. We finally found a great life-jacket for him. It was hard because when their so little, they don't have much of a neck - LOL!

Mountain Baby Clothes, Children's Clothing & Outdoor Camping Gear is a great source for gear! Kinda pricey but...

So far so good. John is 16 months and had more river miles than most of my adult friends! We joke that he'll be a guide before he's 3 . . . He LOVES anything to do with water. He yells "boat" when ever he sees anything kayak-shaped on roof-racks... What else would you bother to tie-down to your car??? He might be a little obsessed with water and so we've enrolled him in swimming lessons. John's working on jumping in and swimming to the surface with out a PFD in our local pool.

As long as safety is your first concern - that you should not have to "give up" your river life-style. My husband and I take turns rowing. My husband is the expert on the sticks and will row any new rivers or anything over class II if the baby's on board... SELECTIVE ClassIII is our limit until he can swim WELL.

Some of our favorite family runs...
*Gunnison Almont to Whitewater Park - to McCabe's in low water, the Park's too much in high water
*Lower Taylor - in Low water (around 600 cfs) John's fave - splish splash!!!
*San Juan - early/late season because of temps, not flows
*Colorado - Glenwood Town Run
*Colorado - Ruby / Horse-thief Canyons

Anybody else have good family runs?? Has Anyone done the Green w/kids?

·
Registered
476 Posts
He might be a little obsessed with water and so we've enrolled him in swimming lessons. John's working on jumping in and swimming to the surface with out a PFD in our local pool.

Just FYI, at that age any swimming lessons will only teach water familarity, NOT swimming skills. Children that young may be able to mimic swimming skills, but they lack the ability to reason when they need to use them if they fall into the water.

In my 19 years of aquatics experience (teaching swim lessons to managing two pools and a lakefront), the youngest child I have ever seen been able to demonstrate "swimming skills" is 2 and a half.

My advice, is start simple w/ the PFD and kicking. If you're gonna be on the rivers, then he'll be in that all the time anyway. Save the "swimming" until he's a bit older.

Kendi

1 - 20 of 93 Posts