Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out for a while...wondering if there are any new sites to peep flows and such...other than USGS? What are you using? Thanks!
Cheers!

-Nick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agreed, rivers flows. The old trusty AW website its helpful too.

There was a thread on here last year with a few other options.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
311 Posts
riverbrain, cause if it ain't broke its cause somebody fixed it. wiki style editing thoughout is super awesome.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a RiverBrain fan too but just want to make a shout out for my fun side project Whitewater levels in the United States - Whitewater Map.

It's a map with river sections color coded based on water levels. Orange = too low, blue = too high, green = just right. Click on a section and it brings up the link to the AW page.

Honestly though, in Colorado, gauges chosen by RiverBrain are much more accurate than the gauges chosen by AW. Go back east though and AW is the best source I know of (though kayak411.com was trying).

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
riverbrain, cause if it ain't broke its cause somebody fixed it. wiki style editing thoughout is super awesome.
Exactly.

The AW site causes more confusion than Bill Clinton explaining the definition of 'is'. It's data is old old old.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I just run the regular Riverbrain website on my phone. In landscape mode it displays everything just fine. I have a couple custom lists that I use that contain a smaller set of runs (i.e. afterwork striking distance runs) so it's easier to scroll through. I put bookmark icons on my home screen so it's one tap to bring it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
RiverFlows

I've been working on an update to the RiverFlows Android app, and just opened it up for beta testing today.

The user interface has been updated to work more smoothly on new phones that lack a menu button. I've also added the ability to specify runnable levels by creating a "destination", which is publicly shared. There are only a handful of destinations in the system at the moment, but feel free to add more.

You can get a beta version of RiverFlows by joining one of these groups

RiverFlows on Google Plus
RiverFlows on Google Groups

Then visit this link on your phone:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.riverflows

Click BECOME A TESTER, then once the checkmark appears, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Download RiverFlows from the Play Store" to get the beta version.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Agreed. I guess I don't understand why people need an app or website beyond the DWR site for Colorado stream flows... The ratings of too low, medium, high, etc are subjective anyway...
Lots of reasons.

-If you're not familiar with the area it tells you what gauges correspond to the run.
-similarly maps can you a quick overview of what's in the area
-Some rivers require multiple gauge sources or are estimates (i.e. % of a downstream gauge)
- can aggregate multiple gauge sources
- provide data for rivers out of the state
-push notifications based on flow thresholds
-Better visual representation of list
-low/med/high is subjective, but it can give you a quick visual of what might be in

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
The majority of those validations sound more like an online guide book than a flow page, and I do see a use for those, but I find the best info on new runs comes from TR's on paddler's blogs these days. Plus I find there can be a delay on the flow shown on many flow pages, sometimes delayed by as much as 6 hours or more...guess I'd rather get my flows from the horses mouth than a secondary source.

·
Renaissance *******
1,374 Posts
This was built by someone on the Buzz
Can't remember who.
River Maps

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The majority of those validations sound more like an online guide book than a flow page, and I do see a use for those, but I find the best info on new runs comes from TR's on paddler's blogs these days. Plus I find there can be a delay on the flow shown on many flow pages, sometimes delayed by as much as 6 hours or more...guess I'd rather get my flows from the horses mouth than a secondary source.
I don't really understand. Those are all things built into a list of runs that display flows. Synchronization bugs are just that and should not be part of a good flow page. But anyway, it doesn't really matter. Everybody has their own workflow, so whatever works best for you is what's best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts