1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were two kayaking deaths on the Ark last weekend:
1) Pine Creek
2) Class II stretch above Brown's Canyon

I haven't seen any more info on them. Can we learn anything from them?

I'm especially interested in the Pine Creek accident since the guy had the right equipment and support.

There is always some crucial info.

Thanks.

·
Banned
678 Posts
There were two kayaking deaths on the Ark last weekend:
1) Pine Creek
2) Class II stretch above Brown's Canyon

I haven't seen any more info on them. Can we learn anything from them?

I'm especially interested in the Pine Creek accident since the guy had the right equipment and support.

There is always some crucial info.

Thanks.

The right equipment doesn't really mean anything... I think it's safe to ASSume the Pine creek was a flush drowning. Long rapid with a big keeper hole halfway down. Sucks but I believe there has been more than one death there... If you want to see the hole in action there's a good video on youtube of EJ taking a little bit of a beating in it from 2007 I think.

The death above browns is really odd to me. This is *maybe* class II water and it didn't sound like a foot entrapment (they recovered the body a mile and a half down river?).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Fishermans bridge

My son saw the individual involved in that one. He noted that the person while fully equipped , was very shaky and we saw him draining his boat soon after the put in. We later saw the boat going down the river empty. Creepy thing is, the kayak had a go pro on a tower sticking up and out the back. The whole tragic event may have been recorded.

·
Banned
678 Posts
My son saw the individual involved in that one. He noted that the person while fully equipped , was very shaky and we saw him draining his boat soon after the put in. We later saw the boat going down the river empty. Creepy thing is, the kayak had a go pro on a tower sticking up and out the back. The whole tragic event may have been recorded.

shaky or not it's class 1/2 water... I'm sure a lot of people here boated harder water their very first time in a kayak, I know I did (and swam). I'm guessing it was some sort of a freak accident. There might be a lesson to be learned for new boaters. I'm interested how a death occurred.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't have any verifiable information. But I was told that the guy had new equipment and was a novice, and he speculated that it was possible that a new sprayskirt that was tough to come off. But that is just speculation.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here's the answer from the boys in Arkansas. Everyone scouted in the group. A few decided to run the main drop. 1st witness finished portage and looked up and saw JFKs boat and then JFK himself. A rope was immediately thrown in his vicinity but he did not make an attempt to grab. Likely unconscious from a hit to head or flush drown. Terribly sad story to read from from his best friend.

http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26285

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Here's the answer from the boys in Arkansas. Everyone scouted in the group. A few decided to run the main drop. 1st witness finished portage and looked up and saw JFKs boat and then JFK himself. A rope was immediately thrown in his vicinity but he did not make an attempt to grab. Likely unconscious from a hit to head or flush drown. Terribly sad story to read from from his best friend.

Arkansascanoeclub.com • View topic - The man in the yellow hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Thank you for sharing that. I'm sure it was very difficult for him to write. Very unfortunate situation. My condolences to everyone affected.

I too would like to learn more about the incident on the Milk Run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts