Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found 3 specific threads here on the buzz that had no info less one guy said he had details but didn't share them?

I could not find the AW writeup on Barrancas del Cobre
There is minimal info in the mexico ww guide showcasing the "commercial section"

So there are 3 rivers down there in the canyon, only one looks like an easy put in with a road, the others are look to be hike down
Specifically the river from Del Cobre looks to be the steepest and from hiking in the lower reaches there I have seen enormous granite/basalt walls up it.

Below Urique the main river looks like the it gets HUGE in season, I have seen some companies with pictures in this stretch so it gets commercially rafted I assume and they call it class III.

Any idea of flows or how to guage them from my couch? Specifically flows of the upper stretches, while I was there is was about 0.000069cfs. Lookin for next fall launch down there somewhere during monsoons.

thanks for legit links to writeups or Trip reports...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, Rocky is you best contact. My memory and time to help you is limited at the moment. Briefly, I can tell you that Zirkelbach, Keagan, and I did the FD of the upper Rio Urique in the late '80s. The shuttle is pretty challenging. The banditos were totally in a rage throughout the canyon and its rim at the time. And the boating was certainly class V/+ much of the time. Lower water is recommended. We did our trip betwenn x-mas and New Years day It was 6 days on the river and at least a couple of portages, but tried to stay in the water to avoid the banditos that were robbing, raping, or murdering everyone they encountered in the canyon. It was a great adventure and we barely managed to avoid numerous debacles in the entirety of they expedition.

I believe that Rocky and others have since explored the area and Rocky has an excellent website with everything you need to know probably.

Cheers!

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.