Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdie folks,

Can anyone suggest a good class IIish run that is flowing in Colorado where I can teach a class? I'd like to keep my ACA teaching cert and I have four newbies that would like to learn.

I'm located in Littleton, just outside of Denver.

Thanks,

--
Dan G.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You've also got Deckers on S South Platte and Grizzly Creek below Shoshone on the Colorado.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, much appreciated. The Pumphouse looks a little long for first timers but doable, the Brighton City Park to Fort Lupton (is that what you are calling Deckers?) looks pretty good as well. What about any lakes that are boater friendly near either of these runs? When I teach I like to do a bit of flatwater work, even warm up with a couple hours of flatwater.

Thanks for your help, I just moved to town and haven't paddled much in Colorado in years.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Deckers is on the South Fork of the North Platte:

Chutes

A lot of people refer to it as the Chutes as well. Its west of town up hwy 285, bout an hour 'ish away from most locales. Its a great teaching section but at 205 could be a tad boney. I like 300+ so there are not as many exposed rocks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ft Lupton is 10ish miles of class I with a portage. Did it once just to paddle and stopped counting tires in the river at 100.. Won't do that one again

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If you're looking at the Upper C, you should do Rancho to Statebridge instead of Pumphouse to Rancho. It's II/II+ with a couple III-ish rapids. About 3 miles long, easily lappable, has surfing, eddies, some flatwater but nothing like Pumphouse. Pretty much everything you could want for a beginner section.

COUNT

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I also agree with Count, Rancho to Statebridge was my very first run. Also keep in mind it is illegal to take a paying class down the Chutes, the county or whoever runs that area does not allow permits and will bust you if it's obvious you are teaching.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rancho to Statebridge is exactly what I'm looking for

Thanks Count and others, Rancho to Statebridge is just what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations on gear rentals? I have all the boats. What I need is three farmer john wetsuits, three paddling tops, two paddles, one helmet, two life jackets and a couple pairs of booties (if possible). Any suggestions on where to rent this stuff?

I'll be teaching an ACA sanctioned class but won't be charging the students directly (they will only pay the ACA, I'm doing the class for free to help keep my instructor cert current and to hook up some friends and co-workers) so I don't think I would have a problem on the Chutes section, although I don't know the official rules. In any event I'm leaning toward the Rancho to Statebridge section.

Are there any lakes or reserviors nearby that allow paddling? I like to start off each day with an hour or two of flatwater work.

What about camping in the area? We will probably stay out Saturday night but may stay out Friday night as well.

Thanks for all the replies! The advice is definitely appreciated.

Daniel

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Plenty of camping around Pumphouse and Rancho. They'll charge you ($3/head?) to take out at the ramps on river left at Statebridge so if you want to be a cheapo you can take out under the bridge on river right. Not sure about lakes. You might be able to make use of some of the flatwater in one of those sections.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If my memory is correct there is a bridge put in about 1/2 mile below rancho that has big nice learning eddy. Also wont have to pay the rancho put in fee. Plenty of camping just look around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the statebridge section is ideal for newbies, there is a pond in eagle/vail where people get wet for the first time. Alpine Quest in Edwards can probably rent any gear and there is free camping at statebridge, no facilities though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was that the year we lost my truck?

Thanks again for all the replies, sounds like we've got the beta dialed.

Yes Len, this is the same Daniel. Was that the year Harjes lost my truck? What a fun cluster @#*! that turned out to be.

I'm danglauser (att) gmail. Just moved to town, my wife, son and I have a place in Littleton. Please drop me a line and let me know where you are at!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts