Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What does this:

even if it means driving over the mountain to CO. :)
mean? Are you in Wyoming or western Colorado? Last time I checked, the west slope was still in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ah.. the other side of the other mtns. There are some open boaters on here and I'll paddle w/ya. Bring an OC-2 and I'll take bow!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey Jeff don't you mean half the paddle twice the excuses :) You will drive to CO to boat in a OC-1, but not to run numbers with me in a kayak :) I guess I need to get off my ass, and let go of my training paddle. ( I thought I would say it before you do :) On that note looking into running numbers or another intro Colorado Class IV soon if someone wants to lead me down.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Boated Brown's yesterday with 5 OC1ers, 1 OC2 and 2 c1ers. Numbers and Fractions today with most of the same group. Former open boater myself... Now I just safety boat in my kayak for for my old skool friends. :)
P.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hey smurf warrior

hey,
i'm in here too! we just paddled the numbers tandem last tuesday and the royal gorge on wednesday, then took the playboat c1's to the whitewater parks in buena vista and salida
jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
1/2 the stick, Twice the Fun ;)
The penitent are truly hardcore. Open boaters and tele skiers kneel for their sports.

I'm not quite up to the numbers level of paddling my OC1 but trying to get better with my occasional usage here in the Front Range.

·
Registered
685 Posts
There are quite a few C boaters in Colorado. However, many of us this year have decided to also paddle C1. PM me your email address and we can add you to our email list.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Woohooo! Now thats what I'm talkin about! Chief- email is ducatismurf at hotmail. FSM- you had your chance at C1 greatness when I lent you the Cascade a couple weeks ago, seemed you liked swimming more than canoeing! Better keep the training blades. :)

Cadster! Nice pics, what run is that? That Ocoee I bought off you is now up in MT, living the life. haha... hopefully not put out to pasture yet.

Well, looks like a trip to CO is in order!

Here's me on Carbarton, North Fork Payette two weeks ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I know this thread is a bit old and may be dead, but wanted to give it a shot.

I just moved from WNC to Lyons, Colorado. As of right now, I don't believe there are any Open Boaters out here because I haven't seen any. WHERE ARE YOU? SKIING?

If anyone's willing to come out of hiding and show a new kid in town around, that'd be swell. Paddled Class III and IV in NC . . . I've heard a rumor that CO classes may be a bit different. No, I did not OC1 the Green Narrows. Perhaps when I learn to C1 . . .

Cheers

·
Registered
614 Posts
Where are you paddling? What do you want to boat?

Here are groups that organize trips which usually have canoes:
RMCC Home Page
Poudre Paddlers Canoe and Kayak Club of Colorado
Front Range Paddlesports Meetup (Boulder, CO) - Meetup

This event should draw a crowd of out of staters:
2011 ACA Open Canoe Slalom Nationals and North American Championships

If anyone's willing to come out of hiding and show a new kid in town around, that'd be swell. Paddled Class III and IV in NC . . . I've heard a rumor that CO classes may be a bit different. No, I did not OC1 the Green Narrows. Perhaps when I learn to C1 . . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Happyotter,

I OC-1 and live right down the road from you in Longmont. I'll pm you my info.

Still a little early for boating for me - I'm still in ski mode, but I'll break the boating gear out in May.

Shelly's Cottages on North Saint Vrain is a great but short little class III+ canoe run and I run it alot when it's going - one of my favorites!

I can't comment on the difference between east coast and rocky mountain class 3/4 since I've never paddled out east - but I will say that there is a lot of fun class 3/4 canoe runs nearby lyons.

Really close:
- Shelly's cottages on NSV
- Big thompson
- Boulder creek

Pretty close (30 min - 1 hr):
- north fork south platte - Waterton and foxton
- Most sections of the Poudre
- clear creek

Then if you're willing to drive a little bit you've got the Ark, Blue, Colorado, Elevenmile, etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad status is "not dead".

Psyched for the ACA event. And Shelly's Cottages is on my daily commute! (I work at a school in Estes). That'll be hard to drive past in the summer.

Thanks for the leads from everyone. I'm heading down the Grand in a few weeks . . . when I get back, it's on.

-Marya

·
Registered
38 Posts
I grew up open boating on the Nolichucky. I paddle an esquif zoom & a mad river synergy. I primarily row a dory on multidays. I slipped in a westwater saturday just before the wind. Drop me a line later in the summer when it warms up. Maybe fit in a westwater & or Gunny Gorge. marc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice pics. Well, I guess there are quite a few OC-1 paddlers in CO after all. Looks like I'll have to get in shape and back in the saddle to run with some of you. Like all the variations on what I always thought was "Half the paddle, twice the Man" or woman, not wishing to dis the other gender.

I'll keep my eyes open for some trips after July 5, do any of you have any suggestions where I can dip a paddle in some easy water to get used to my boat and get in shape. I'm thinking the water park in BV, its close to me in Fairplay. any thoughts?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts