Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Got stoked a couple days ago to hit clear creek ark, did the mini scout, checked the gauge and I'm too late. I'ld really like to check out some creeks, any suggestions this late in the season? I've probably been down Gore about 8-10 times in the last few years (most of my paddling partners seem to be commercial guides) but haven't gotten to branch out much. Is big south manageable with some portaging? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I live in Dillon, anybody want to boat? I wait tables so I've got a ton of time to paddle, but most of my friends up here max out at 3-4ish.

Mike

·
Registered
846 Posts
Lower South Boulder creek -- it is pretty low but still runnable. make sure to be heads up for the named drops (portaging at least the 2nd two) moist slot, brain, bridge drop -- all easily located based on descriptions but be especially careful about the brain because you could accidentally float into it.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Upper East is a decent beginner creek, the Slate (minus Wicked Wanda), and IMO first gorge Lime at low water really isn't that hard. Third Gorge Lime (Cascade) is low -stress as well. Gore at levels above 900 are probably more dangerous than those creeks, IMO. Bailey is a good suggestion too.

The Big South is manageable with a LOT of portaging. Bailing out at Peterson cuts out a significant numbers of portages, so that might be an option if you have some folk to guide you down to that point.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Mike, what kind of level are you looking for? Intro creeking could be kind of a broad thing I think. I work in Breck & would be happy to run just about anything around here with you. There are a couple runs over in CCC that would qualify, not sure if one of them is clean or not. (anybody been down lower West Fork this year?)

Have you been down all the 10 mile stretches? That's all pretty intro, nothing serious anywhere but lots of boogie.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WWPR, Vish. I have ran from Occifers Gulch down at like 400 and 900, no problems. I've been in clear creek a little, ran Dumont once and the town run a shit ton. I've done the 2 drops below kermits but have never made it to black rocks. All in all I'm pretty comfortable in class 4, numbers from 450 to 3000 is pretty easy, I rarely get off line or flipped but I know its a different game from the smaller harder stuff. I'ld definitely be down to go boating some time.

Thanks for the replies all.

·
Registered
846 Posts
^^^ based on the above, I'd strongly recommend giving Black Rock a try. Its on the way down, at great flows, and is generally IV+/V-, with Rigo being V at this level. Creeky moves, boofs, small eddies, awesomeness. Remember that you can make any run practice for creeking by doing hard ferries, catching micro eddies, and boofing everything (that's good to boof). Have fun!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Black Rock and Lower Boulder Creek are 2 different animals. BR is a little bigger, longer, and has more defined rapids. I would say a little step up but not a big one. There are more moves to make BR but they are not that difficult.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just walked the Upper East to see the levels and it def looks runable. My buddy and I are going for it tomorrow early evening. Minus Stupid Falls of course.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also agree with Black Rock recommendations. Its at a nice level, not terribly technical but still slow and manageable; a nice medium-low. The narrows is super fun right now... just a long romp with a ton of fun moves to make. Even better, you can get multiple runs in/combine it with lower for laps full of boofs and fun moves. I'll probably be out there most of the day sunday. 505 three six six 8393.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good. So who wants to go boating? I've got M-Thurs and (next) Sunday to boat. I'll probably be at the gorge or somewhere on the ark mon-tues which leaves w,th,sun to boat. Anybody game to go play? 404 434 5139

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hah - Bannister! Have a great time... I'm really busy, or I'd love to paddle with you. It's been a few years since we kicked it, though, so we could always meet again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts