Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an extra battery wired up in my truck with a marine battery combiner. It's a yellow top under my rear bumper. It charges while I drive. I have a 1000w pure sine wave inverter wired off it in the bed. It worked fine for about 8 months. Now when I turn it on it beeps and immediately turns off. The extra battery is always reading 13V. If I haven't turned it on in awhile the connections at the inverter read 13V, as soon as I turn it on it drops to 5V and turns off. What am I missing? It's 6 gauge wire, somewhere (about 3' in length) between the battery and the inverter I'm losing 8 volts.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,265 Posts
I would guess the transformer in that inverter is shot. Pull it out and take it to an auto electric shop that can bench test it. Look for someone that rebuilds alternators. They might be able to fix it. Good luck.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess the transformer in that inverter is shot. Pull it out and take it to an auto electric shop that can bench test it. Look for someone that rebuilds alternators. They might be able to fix it. Good luck.

thanks just pulled it out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My guess is the battery. Connected to an alternator a battery will take a surface charge but won't have any real depth of charge. As soon as the inverter comes on it drops the voltage below its set point and trips out. Test it with a battery tester (the load type that you can barrow from a parts store) Alternatively test the inverter on a known good battery. If it works its the battery

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is the battery. Connected to an alternator a battery will take a surface charge but won't have any real depth of charge. As soon as the inverter comes on it drops the voltage below its set point and trips out. Test it with a battery tester (the load type that you can barrow from a parts store) Alternatively test the inverter on a known good battery. If it works its the battery
Will do, I can't see it being the battery though to be honest because it's a Optima Yellow top less than a year old that has never seen any load aside from charging a laptop through the inverter and some LED lights/tiny fan. Will check it out though thanks. It also runs the lights/fan fine they are hard wired to battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts