Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions about the platform and laptops.

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Love my Chromebook! The only problem I have is that I regularly use 3 programs that will not work under Chrome and I must get into IE to use them. For those I have to go to my laptop or desktop. If anyone knows a way to get IE on my Chrome, please let me know! The few workarounds I have tried have been unsuccessful.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, this will be a dedicated chrome web surfer.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Not yet, I'd give chrome book anther year or two before I'd consider it a legit product. My gut feeling is that google is do something major with the product soon.

PS: I'm an IT guy who has seen a ton of these.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had a samsung chromebook for about 6 months. I bought this as an internet surfer, and have really liked it. If that is what you are looking for, then I think the convenience and cost of the chromebook are tough to beat.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that only software you can install are apps from the google webstore. You cannot install any independent 3rd party software such as itunes. Its essentially and android smartphone in laptop form. The upside of this limitation is that the computer if very secure, and less susceptible to virus, malware or other threats while surfer the web. Downside is that if its your only laptop you may not be able to use some needed software.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want it to run chrome. Does it boot up quick? How long to load a youtube video? Basically does it perform well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine boots up in a few seconds, so it is very nice if you want to open up your computer to check a few quick things. Streaming video seems to perform just as well as on a regular laptop.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have two. One for me and one for the wife. They work great. Very fast boot up and shut down. Long battery life and have taken some serious falls.
A couple of problems are printing in the "cloud" sucks. Not able to Skype either. Gmail hangouts work fine if you tell you skype friends to get a gmail account to "hangout"

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes! if all you'll ever do is watch youtube then it will be good to go.
Well it wont be all I use it for. I just think playing videos will be the most resource intensive thing i will do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts