Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has had a anterior cervical discectomy & fusion and what timeline is reasonable to get back in the saddle (or at least for now the pool ). I am post one week C5-6, C6-7 fusion , feel good, doc says in time my neck will be stronger than it was before, however I don't want to push too fast and screw up for later, eg start getting ready with pool sessions only to screw the neck up so I am out for the season or worse. I am a 3+/4 boater so I don't get into anything too nasty but still want some opinions just to know what to expect
Just wondering if anyone has been through this (or somethig similiar) and what sort of time they allowed themselves and what the results were.
Lifetime supply of vicodin is out so I thought I better go with the actual healing route.
Any info would be much appreciated
Thanks,
Horn

·
Registered
16 Posts
foraminectomy

First of all, I would consult your surgeon.My understanding is that bone takes about 2 months to form, and even then, you have had trauma to soft tissue in your neck during your surgery. I would cool my jets if I were you in doing anything that could possibly require you to roll. That said, I was scheduled to have a fusion of c-5/c-6 in '96, however my surgeon deferred at the eleventh hour to recommend a foraminectomy for the problems I was suffering. The operation was 100% successful, and I took up whitewater kayaking about 3 months after the surgery. I can't really imagine boating much sooner than that. I was a beginner and consequently wasn't doing anything more than easy class three til 6 months had elapsed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
horn, heal thyself. i know you and you will push it. tell the doc that you are planning an activity that is sort of a cross between boxing and breakdancing and see how he reacts. seriously, you are the only person who hits your head more than i do. wait to visit us when you are well, or visit twice. the surf lasts all year here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts