Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you actively disengage your offside foot/knee from the offside foot/thigh brace to minimise any counterforce to the on side hip snap effect when rolling? Just curious since it seems to make my roll much easier when I remember to do this.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
If you don't outfit snugly your non-power side knee (I guess foot?) may separate from the brace. I wouldn't adjust rolling technique just outfit appropriately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not, but I would think that doing so could cause problems depending on what you are running. If you roll up and immediately need to make a move, you may not have the necessary control over your kayak since you won't have your thigh under the pad. Maybe I'm not reading this right, but that's just my two cents.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't actually view my snap as lifting my leg at all. I simply view it was throwing my middle body towards the surface forcefully, or rotating my hips. I have no success when I consider my legs. It is all in the hips, or torso position for me. I'm sure my legs do something, but it is not something I think about. They are in there snugly, so disengaging does not happen.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re roll

Sorry, I miswrote in my OP. I do not disengage my knee from the knee hooks at all, just lift my off side foot off the foot brace . Just like taking your foot off the gas pedal. My "hip snap" is produced by sort of jamming my buttock, thigh and leg on the on side into the foot brace and arching my torso backwards. This seems to be more effective if I have remembered not to press down with my off leg when arching back.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
It's WAY to difficult to figure out what you are doing based on words here, not to mention it's only your perception of how your roll works. If you are struggling with some rolls find someone to workshop them with you. If you aren't having troubles keep rolling. If you have the ability to pick your foot off your foot brace adjust your outfitting so you fit more tightly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You are correct in that not actively using your left knee while using your right knee helps with the hip snap. When people lift their head out of the water too early it engages the left knee and stops the hip snap and sends you back under water. This description is based off of a right handed roll, setting up of the left side of your kayak. This is explained well in the old instructional video "The Kayak Roll."
The knee is still in contact with the hook but you are using the outside of the knee rather that the inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts