Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I've seen this question asked on here before but could someone give their personal opinions on what runs are worth doin in the J-hole area on the snake? Class IIIish and IV-ish. Is there any other runs that are flowin now also? shwweet

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Canyon is class III. Its the classic run outside Jackson with Lunch Counter, Big Kahuna and all that. I was just up there last week and it was great. Not huge, but still fun. Weekends get a bit busy with the commercial rafting, but still well worth it, just be ready for cold water. Stop in at Snake River Kayak, on Cache, just north of the town square. They'll fill you in. One last tip on the Canyon run...put in at East Table, just before the main put-in. You'll avoid all the crowds and rafting companies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am not sure what is running, but I think most stuff up there is still going. Gros Ventre,slide lake to bridge campground, III+ to IV is north of Jackson, and is 3 miles long. Bitch creek, hwy 32 bridge to france boat ramp, is 13 miles long and is III/IV with 2 V's which are supposed to be easy to scout/portage. Greys river, Squaw Creek to bridge campground, 2 miles long III/IV. And Granite creek, granite falls to hoback river 4.5 miles, class III.

You can buy a little pample called Jackson Hole Areas Floaters Guide at any of the local kayak shops. And it has directions, and short discriptions of the runs. Have fun.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks yo...I'm also curious if anyone knows of any guality (free) camping on Forest land or good campgrounds worthy of payin for??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Camping near ww in Wyoming

Outside of Alpine, WY is th Greys River. Plenty of free camping and less than 7 miles from the Snake River takout. The Greys is a fun, short class IV run. I camp at the put-in a couple times a summer. Camping in the Snake RIver Canyon is generally congested and is all pay-for camping. Email me if any more questions. [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts