Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my boating buddies called me this afternoon and told me that they came upon a floater below House Rock but above BV this afternoon when running the Fractions. I guess my roomate provided CPR to the man who was unresponsive and beaten up pretty good, but upon arrival of the EMS they were able to find a weak pulse before transporting him off scene. From what I understand the man was in his 60's or 70's and was kayaking the Numbers when he went for a swim, after extricating himself from the river he re-entered the water to retrieve his paddle and was flushed downstream. I don't know how much of what happened prior to his being found is true, but I feel for you guys that found him and know him.
I pray that he survives.
If any of you guys that were on that Fractions run read this, provide us with some more details so that we can all learn from this unfortunate situation. I would have been on that trip today if I hadn't been in Summit County...

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the article that was in this morning's Mountain Mail:

Kayaker dies north of BV
A 70-year old kayaker died Sunday afternoon in a section of Arkansas River known as the Magnificent Mile north of Buena Vista.

Volker Beer, of Tucson, Ariz., was kayaking with a friend at 11:45 a.m. about six miles north of Buena Vista, Randy Amettis, Chaffee County Coroner said.

Other details of how Beer died were not made available by Chaffee County Sheriff's Office officials. By 8 p.m., a phone message asking for information was not returned and a dispatcher said the office would issue a press release today.

At 3:45 p.m. Sunday, river flow, which is nearing seasonal peak, was 3,270 cubic feet per second at the Granite measuring device.

The death Sunday was the third fatality on the river in six days and was the fourth of the rafting season.

A 61-year old Woodland Park man died Thursday when the raft in which he was a passenger hit the center pier of the F Street bridge in Salida and flipped. The man was pulled from the river about a mile downstream where rescuers began life saving efforts.

Tuesday, a 67-year old Illinois man died when the raft in which he was riding flipped in Pinball Rapid at the north end of Browns Canyon.

May 25, a 26-year old Kansas man died at Sledge Hammer Falls Rapid in the Royal Gorge when the raft in which he was riding overturned.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is sad news indeed. I put on with a crew at the railroad bridge around 10 yesterday so they were right behind us. After personally taking a beating in house rock at the end, just a reminder for everyone to be as safe as they can be. The water right now is super fun, but obviously has some huge consequences too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm pretty sure he didn't get out of the water until he was pulled out at the playpark around 2 or 2:30 yesterday. The water was surely pushy enough in the narrows to make the swim last a long long time which is very unfortunate.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am very sad to hear this. I was paddling Numbers through the Fractions with some of the Pikes Peak Boys. We had a great time. It definately takes most of that good feeling away to hear someone died.

As I sat at the bottom of five some BLM guys in truck signalled me to see if we were OK. I was thinking, " how did they know I got I bit off-line". This explains what was going on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Very sad indeed.

Does anyone else feel that they keep reading and hearing about fatalities where the victim initially got out of the water and was thought to be OK, and then fell back in/went back in the river for one reason or another?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very sad indeed.

Does anyone else feel that they keep reading and hearing about fatalities where the victim initially got out of the water and was thought to be OK, and then fell back in/went back in the river for one reason or another?
This is common in river fatality accounts. I'm no Doc./EMT but understand that after a tough swim the combination of adrenaline, exhaustion, hypothermia mount against the body as shock sets in. It's important for folks to learn from this phenominon. After a swim stay down and concentrate on calming your heart rate. I'm sure more qualified folks could comment on other things to do...

Be safe.
chris

·
Mainflow
2 Posts
get a life

Yes everyone, people of all activities die on rivers. It is an unfortunate truth, yet accepted risk we all take when we leave dry land. The fact that someone starts a thread about this topic before there are any facts released about the event saddens me and makes me question one's needs in life. If they were a friend of yours, you will undoubtedly hear about it soon. My condolences to those of you that do get that sad news. For the rest of you, get off the cyber-gossip wagon and get a life.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Someone needs to grow up

No one was being disrespectful and like it or not, we live in the digital age. Be it a car crash that closes the highway, or a death on the river, it is going to make the news. This is a community of boaters that do have a interest in what goes on our beloved rivers. I can see that you are not one to be involved in this board from your very high post count of. If you were active here you would have seen how a lot of accident information is taken from this site and added to the AW log and record of river information. If changes need to be taken to how the rivers are administered, it would be as a result from this information and other factors. This applies mainly to commercials but privates can be effected too.

·
V for Victory
329 Posts
The river community is also quite small. There is usually only one to three degrees of separation from death in this community, except when it is a tourist and then someone usually knows the guide or the rescuers.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Yes everyone, people of all activities die on rivers. It is an unfortunate truth, yet accepted risk we all take when we leave dry land. The fact that someone starts a thread about this topic before there are any facts released about the event saddens me and makes me question one's needs in life. If they were a friend of yours, you will undoubtedly hear about it soon. My condolences to those of you that do get that sad news. For the rest of you, get off the cyber-gossip wagon and get a life.
It seems to me like it is very important that we know the information presented here. For example, I see that several people over the age of 60 have died recently in cold, high water swims. This is good information for me if tomorrow I have a 70 year old person that wants to be on my class 4 trip. I can cite this information when I either refuse service or try to convince them to do a milder trip. Those of us working on the river like to stay up to date on accidents/fatalities because it directly impacts the way we do are jobs and keep people as safe as we can. It's not gossip, and everyone here has a life. I hope your day gets better....

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
It seems to me like it is very important that we know the information presented here. For example, I see that several people over the age of 60 have died recently in cold, high water swims. This is good information for me if tomorrow I have a 70 year old person that wants to be on my class 4 trip. I can cite this information when I either refuse service or try to convince them to do a milder trip. Those of us working on the river like to stay up to date on accidents/fatalities because it directly impacts the way we do are jobs and keep people as safe as we can. It's not gossip, and everyone here has a life. I hope your day gets better....
Well said. I think most of us are trying to learn and/or also express sympathy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am an infrequent poster myself but frequent reader. The information shared when a death occurs on the river is vitally important to all of us who kayak or raft. There is no morbidity involved here. The more I can learn about the unfortuante details of a river accident the better I can prepare myself for a similar situation as well as share that info with my river brothers and sisters to assure that we are all boating as safely as we can and are mindful of the risks that may be out there.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn man, that's pretty cold. The only reason I started the thread is to try and the get the information out there that the accident happend, so that details can be shared, and hopefully learned from. Your statement is very disrespectful to more than just me, and that saddens me...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm pretty sure this poor guy was out much earlier in the run, but one big tip I can give right now is don't swim at house rock. I did yesterday and it was a bitch to swim myself out (and I'm 26). If you think there's a chance you might swim don't get in the Ark right now. I feel awful for his family and friends.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All the accidents this year, river related or not are very sad. Death, by nature is sad but mistakes are made so others can learn.

They say that in today's world, man's knowledge doubles every ten years. That means that everything we know from today back to the time of the caveman and before will be doubled by the year 2018. These boards and the ability to transfer and discuss these events is what is going to save people in the future. It sucks it happened, it sucks that Iraqis kill each other and that poor people exist but this is reality and the cyber world is also reality which provides lessons.

Sorry to those personal with this particular victim. Another reason to consider a swift water rescue course. It can't hurt.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts