Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hiking into Phantom and have to carry my own raft in. Has anyone done this before? On a serious note, I'm hiking down by myself to join my kayak that the rafters carried down the river for me. Do I need some sort of permit on my person when hiking the trail? I have the park pass and assume that I leave that on my dash? Any info would be great. Thanks, Atom....

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can walk in sans a permit, but don't sleep anywhere - need a permit to camp. Go early, buy a beer or lemonade at Phantom Ranch (the beer hall part). Take your small raft, its a long trail! Actually one is short (Kaibab), one is longer. Take your ID, rangers may check you into your trip at the river...or not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ditto, just go down as early as you want. We just met someone who waited til the office opened (plus an hour for AZ's personal timezone) to find out that he could have started whenever. He ended up hiking down in the heat of the morning. Ouch.

·
Registered
501 Posts
watch the sunrise

Hey, Atom. Generally it is against their regulations to swap out members during the trip. I recommend keeping a low profile. Especially around Phantom Rangers. Don't let them know what you're up to. You may be asked to show ID and they'll check against permits. That said, if all you have is a back pack, and the rest is already being floated down, you probably won't attract attention.

I recommend an early start down the trail so that you can watch the sunrise from about half way down in the canyon. It should be magnificent. You'll also want to get to shade and the cooler temps near the water before the day heats up. The hike down is fairly strenuous (certainly not as much ascending though), so its best not to carry too much weight. Watch your footing, too. It could be easy to be distracted looking around and stumble off the edge. (Deaths occur every year on the trails and rims there.) There is a nice shady tree waiting for you just under the bridge at Phantom. I great place to chill until your crew shows up. It is a great trip and a great entry method. You'll appreciate the memories of hiking down for the start of your Grand experience.

Cheers!
Ken

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is not at all against the rules to exchange at Phantom. You just have to give your exchange info to the Parks Service. If the Park Service catches you doing an exchange and it's not scheduled, then you're busted.

Don't worry about your exchange at Phantom, and have fun!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It most definitely is not against the regs to swap members at Phantom. The park even puts out a calendar about exchanges at Phantom so folks can plan their use of camps before their exchange. Totally OK. I wouldn't expect to run into any rangers, but definitely have your ID anyways.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

It is not at all against the rules to exchange at Phantom. You just have to give your exchange info to the Parks Service. If the Park Service catches you doing an exchange and it's not scheduled, then you're busted.

Don't worry about your exchange at Phantom, and have fun!
Thanks everyone for the responses. CanyonEJ, can i park right at the Bright Angel trailhead for my hike down. Two folks are hiking out that day and will be taking my car. Thanks again, Atom...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. CanyonEJ, can i park right at the Bright Angel trailhead for my hike down. Two folks are hiking out that day and will be taking my car. Thanks again, Atom...
Yeah, I'm sure that's fine. I've parked there for day hikes, and I wouldn't hesitate for overnight trips either.

If you stay on the main road just past the Bright Angel Lodge, look for a brown road sign on the right pointing to Bright Angel Parking. It's a dirt parking lot hidden behind some of the cabins people can stay in. Maybe you know that, but just in case you don't there's often parking there when there is none elsewhere... and it's right at the trailhead.

And I haven't seen a ranger at the boat beach all summer, but be ready.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah!

......and Atom......don't get your car stuck in the mud before the hike. Don't forget your paddling gear. And don't turn this thread into an angry name calling thread, or I might just make you TAP OUT! Have fun and get refinanced. Plane to Ecuador is leaving soon!
P

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup

......and Atom......don't get your car stuck in the mud before the hike. Don't forget your paddling gear. And don't turn this thread into an angry name calling thread, or I might just make you TAP OUT! Have fun and get refinanced. Plane to Ecuador is leaving soon!
P
Pagel,
Thankfully the rafts will have my gear, the mud is all fate. Refinancing soon, if all goes well, Ecuador over x-mas. I'll be paddling the Grand in Mitchel's memory, RIP...
ps, as for the name calling thing, I'll start. When we had all our protective gear on for dirtbiking last time you were here. The ladies were calling Joe, Steve and I, Power Rangers. As you suited up and wandered (waddeled) over, they (loving) called out, "Ninja Turtle" has joined the team. And ya, you could TAP me OUT, but ya gotta catch me first. See ya soon, Atom....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Exchanges

Atom,

It's good to have a note from the park for your exchange for the front gate. That's where you will have to lay down some cash if your not bonafide(paperwork in your posession). The reality is, your permit is paid for with your trip if you are actually on the trip participant list(which It sounds like you are), but the front gate has little access and a long line behind you. If you try and run the "hey I paid and I can't believe this is happening at this point" Run at the front gate they will probably have the compassionate eyes, but the unforgiving lips. With someone behind you honking. This is an area they are currently working on. If you called 1 800 959 9164 before noon tomorrow and asked them to fax you your official paperworks before you leave, they would probably gladly do it for you. After you pass the front gate, the trail Rangers are watching out for trouble(dehydration, terrorists, etc.), not river trips. And everyone can hike daily anyway without molestation so unless you are doing something majorly illegal, wheels, trail cuts, etc. you would be lucky to even notice one. It might be even borderline illegal to mess with you, but they aren't looking to make their job tougher for some high functioning fun junky anyway.

If you haven't left already, call them at 1800 959 9164 and get them to fax you a pass through the NY Tollbooth.

Grab a map and park at the top of the trail. Your hikers will appreciate it. Go into the hotel parking drive between the small 10X 12 cabins and park with all the other cars. Trail is right below you.

2 1/2 hours-4 hours down. Early hike at Sunrise is a Navajo Tradition. Prayers to the East. Ken is right on!

After writing all of this and rereading your post correctly, if you show your pass at the gate your done for all practical purposes. The strip search is over, you can pick up the soap:) Your bonafide. VIP.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Atom,
Just a few words about logistics. The BA trailhead has easy parking, but the BA is 2.5 miles longer to Phantom/Boat Beach. The only thing is that the South Kaibab trailhead has no parking, and you have to take a shuttle bus to get there, so taking the raft on would be a problem (I hope you don't have a frame too...). So take your pick. I'd leave a note on your car at the BA trailhead just so no one gets too suspicious (long term parkers are sometimes jumpers...).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Secondly,
As I inadvertantly hit enter, there is nothing wrong with your plan, except for the probable wear and tear on your knees. Completely legal so long as it's a dayhike and you are on the permit. You may be slowed way down by people asking you about what the heck you're doing. Water every mile and a half for the first half, then 4.5 to Phantom. The other sucky thing is that on the BA you'll have to hike 2 miles up river if you meet at Phantom itself, but you could also meet at Pipe Creek, where the BA meets the river for more convinence (make sure your trip doesn't miss it).
If you let me know what date you'll down I'll let the staff down here know so they can cheer you on/take pictures/be amazed.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood Grand Canyon Ranger/505 Kayaker

P.S. Ken, please do not encourage anyone to knowingly evade or attempt to break the law on this listserv. We're not stupid and can and do read (and boat...).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
joking

505bum,
I was just kidding about hiking down with a Raft (I mention the joking part in my original post). I'm hiking down with a backpack and paddle to join my crew that has my kayak stowed on a raft. It is a legit trip, the rangers know I am taking the place of someone hiking out. Thanks for the info though. I'm amped to kayak the Grand once again. Thanks, Atom...

Secondly,
As I inadvertantly hit enter, there is nothing wrong with your plan, except for the probable wear and tear on your knees. Completely legal so long as it's a dayhike and you are on the permit. You may be slowed way down by people asking you about what the heck you're doing. Water every mile and a half for the first half, then 4.5 to Phantom. The other sucky thing is that on the BA you'll have to hike 2 miles up river if you meet at Phantom itself, but you could also meet at Pipe Creek, where the BA meets the river for more convinence (make sure your trip doesn't miss it).
If you let me know what date you'll down I'll let the staff down here know so they can cheer you on/take pictures/be amazed.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood Grand Canyon Ranger/505 Kayaker

P.S. Ken, please do not encourage anyone to knowingly evade or attempt to break the law on this listserv. We're not stupid and can and do read (and boat...).

·
Registered
8 Posts
We did a similar thing last winter, other than the car left at the rim had a hard time starting (it was December), it went off without a problem.

A word of advice, make some room to bring in some gifts for the folks on the trip, alcohol and tobacco usally are a good call, and it may even get you laid!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Congratulations, Clint. Stellar job. Some things have changed over the decades. Atom, glad you can enjoy your destination without hassle. Stay cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts