Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, perhaps im on a roll (or other things). I was thinking this would be a cool idea for the future of kayaking, perhaps if it is not yet invented. So here goes
The world should have an "Indoor Whitewater Park". After looking at the evolution of Skateboarding and Rollerblading, why is kayaking still relying on mother nature's Decisions? After relizing what 600 cfs of water can do at the "secret wave" which a lot of you know what im talking about, wouldnt it be possible to create something similar, that can run year round, and provide a safer invironment for youngsters looking to get into the sport. I know I would buy a season pass if there were such a thing in the vicinity of where I live. I mean, if a wave like the one we arent supposed to talk about can be formed by a man-made structure, shouldnt that structure be on paper somewhere. It can totally be re-created.
So has anyone ever thought of something like this? Im doing an indoor whitewater park for my Business class.....a lot of it is "theoretical" yet none the less.....at one point dropping a 114ft waterfall was too.

Thanks for listening.....
Ben Guska

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey Ben,

there are designs out there. Such projects as the penrith slalom course in australia and their company is now working with an amusement park company as well designing wave features for water world type places. The problem is that people stay on waves for a long time. Especially good people. So the lines are really long compared to a water slide. So you would need to have several features and some tubing or something that can move people through as well. Here is a link to their site and Bob Campbell who lives in Glenwood is one of the main guys in this company.
http://www.whitewaterparks.com/

PEter

·
Registered
124 Posts
Whatever happened to that thing wave sport was making, I think it was called the "Wave Box" or something. Didn't some rich guy in Japan buy one. It was on the Buzz a year or so ago. Pics and all.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Sounds awesome, but..

..I drive by that 14,000 square foot Vans Skatepark on Hwy 36 that's been sitting empty fo the past year, and I wonder if the tiny (relative to skateboarding) whitewater communities around the country could sustain that business model. Just playing the Devil's Advocate, mind you.

No matter.....When I'm Dictator, there will indoor payparks and waterfalls next to every Starbucks. :twisted:

·
Registered
569 Posts
wave box

I know that the wave box people had a few orders that they could not deliver on. It was also described as "better than flatwater", which is not exactly accolades. It does seem that you could make a great wave with as 300 - 600 cfs especially if it was always the same flow. There have been a few articles about a company in Germany I think in Kayak Session. The problem is probably that the outlay of initial cash would be so great that you would need water world attendance which gets back to waiting in long lines for the play wave.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
I just figured out that for a flow of 300cfs, you'd need to pump roughly 135,000 gallons/minute (gpm). For comparison, a big irrigation well pumps about 2000 gpm and costs about $50 - $100 per day to power. I hate to rain on the parade, but you'll need some pretty big bucks for pumps & piping, and then more to power the whole thing once you got it going.

--Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
That Wave Cannon thing is sick. After I win the Lotto I am definitely putting one of those things in my backyard. I really like the pool/hot tub that is in the center.

Cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been pulling for padded rail slides and kicker ramps for the past few years. Someone will eventually get wise an hook this up.

How bad ass would it be to bust out an AirBlunt to Front Side Nose Grind! Now thats a combo move.

·
Registered
17 Posts
About ten years ago Doug Ammons wrote a short story about a play mall called "There" where you would be displayed from many angles on wide screen monitors all over the mall while you glistened with awesominities. I'd like to see a huge fishbowl act in Vegas where aereated water creates a mystery arena and well paid roamists lurk and loop around the innards of it while people dine in the vicinity. It doesn't hurt to dream- it just hurts when they come true.

jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is an indoor wave in Holstein Germany. It has a 50cm high wave and a tower to fall off. There is also a man made outdoor run in Indiana called East Race. They have a dam so that they can control the difficulty of it. I haven't been there yet, but I plan to this summer when they open again.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
East Race

Prepared to be not very excited by the East Race. The East Race was built in the late sixties/ early seventies. It was the first made made whitewater course built in the USA. It consists of a damm, concrete fish ladders, and a concrete deversion for a kayak course. It has preset fiberglass wedges that can be slid into tracks in the course. These wedges deflect water and bounce it off the walls of the course to change to direction of the current.

If you are interested in checking out a better use of water deversion. Check out the waitewater course behind the REI in downtown Denver. Yes, Confluence Park. Also built in the mid seventies.

But, times have changed and kayaking has changed with it. The Golden WW park is a far better and more realistic style park. It's not a deversion, so it's range or use is smaller. Meaning it's not forcing water into a smaller section of river. This helps to take advantage of ultra low flows. But, this doesn't effect the joy that the park brings to many local boaters. Or, the feel of running whitewater in an urban inviroment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts