Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep... Did my searching duty but didn't find what I was looking for.

The girlfriend and I are looking to combine boating gear, (yep, she's a keeper), and are thinking of a smaller enclosed trailer for storage/transport. We've used flatbeds and deck over gear models before. While very convenient, we had a couple IK's stolen so wanting more security.

We'd like something big enough to store two Cats (14' & 16') and a puma. Tubes/raft deflated inside with frames on a rack on top. Boxes, coolers, dry bags, groover and all the other gear inside. I'd also like to keep it no taller than my Suburban. I was thinking the size of the enclosed double axle Uhauls, so 6x10ish and maybe 5' tall inside. Wanting to use it as a storage shed for the gear in the off season as well to open up space in our garages. Anybody had problems of leaking trailers or water getting inside while parked?

We do 3-4 multi day trips in the NW a year so keeping the boats inflated is not as much of a priority.

Thoughts on the size? Pro's and Con's? What am I missing?

·
Registered
159 Posts
IMHO, 6 x 12 or 14, to keep things more organized vs. a cube of gear. With a 14'er, maybe you could store most of the gear on one side of the trailer and set up the other wall with bunks.

I've owned a number of enclosed trailers for work and personal use--you get what you pay for. If a used candidate is one of the more economical models, check it over really well before buying, ie Cargo Craft. Many steel frame enclosed trailers have rust issues due to inadequate factory coatings. Nearly all of them, unless custom ordered, lack weight carrying capacity, so spare tires, hubs, etc, and knowing how to change a hub, is critical. In some parts of the US, enclosed trailer theft is really bad, so lock it to the truck and use multiple locks in storage.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Nearly all of them, unless custom ordered, lack weight carrying capacity, so spare tires, hubs, etc, and knowing how to change a hub, is critical.

In some parts of the US, enclosed trailer theft is really bad, so lock it to the truck and use multiple locks in storage.
These both bear repeating.

And bunks in enclosed trailers are awesome...just add a ceiling vent, because they get humid quickly

·
Registered
12 Posts
These both bear repeating.

And bunks in enclosed trailers are awesome...just add a ceiling vent, because they get humid quickly
It's not just the trailer that needs ventilation. Providing fresh air reduces the risk of disease. Stagnant air is bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep... Did my searching duty but didn't find what I was looking for.

The girlfriend and I are looking to combine boating gear, (yep, she's a keeper), and are thinking of a smaller enclosed trailer for storage/transport. We've used flatbeds and deck over gear models before. While very convenient, we had a couple IK's stolen so wanting more security.

We'd like something big enough to store two Cats (14' & 16') and a puma. Tubes/raft deflated inside with frames on a rack on top. Boxes, coolers, dry bags, groover and all the other gear inside. I'd also like to keep it no taller than my Suburban. I was thinking the size of the enclosed double axle Uhauls, so 6x10ish and maybe 5' tall inside. Wanting to use it as a storage shed for the gear in the off season as well to open up space in our garages. Anybody had problems of leaking trailers or water getting inside while parked?

We do 3-4 multi day trips in the NW a year so keeping the boats inflated is not as much of a priority.

Thoughts on the size? Pro's and Con's? What am I missing?
Have some input here. I'm funny in that, for the last 4 years I've bought trailers, used them for the season, then sold them. I'm too cheap to rent a uHaul, and usually shop around long enough locally where I live to buy something cheap and then sell it at the end of my bigger trips cycle to make all the money back or even make a profit if I've bought something cheap enough. For two of those years, I made a couple hundred on the buy/sell and it covered some of my gas bill for big run out to Idaho from CA.

Part of my issue is storing a trailer in snow over winter where I live (I've done that with one of the trailers, and it sucks) is an issue...big snow load and I don't have a great covered/indoor spot to store it. Clearing snow when you have 2 foot dumps isn't a huge deal but generally those don't have great roof support systems...but they're all different.

That being said, 2 of them were enclosed. The nicest one was a 6x10 that had the extra height. I'm 6'2" and I want to say it was 6' interior height. For a keeper trailer, the extra interior height was nice just for climbing in and loading/unloading. I was easily able to put my frame in at an angle (wasn't going to build the roof rack for a temp ownership), and store all the gear for the trip(s) and other group heavy gear. That trailer also had a fold-down rear loading door (it was previously used to transport a single Harley). That was also nice.

I'd think for a long-term ownership those would be nice-to-haves. Also just consider a nice set of locks for the 2 doors + the hitch pin/lock...for when you are traveling. Make sure you can mount your spare on the frame/outside so you don't have to haul it inside the trailer with your gear. Most I've seen also have the roof vent, which, after take out (wet gear) is nice to have for ventilation and drying.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas!

I'm not to worried about sleeping inside but I'm sure a rainy night at put in would change that....

Matt, Great idea about swapping out seasonally. I'm on craigslist all the time anyway, why not add it to the searches. ;-) Long term, I think I would like something for winter storage but for now it seems the budget may get in the way. The trailers I've seen in that 6x10 size range are between 3-5k, even used. Say hi to the Baroness and all my Truckee friends. Let me know if you guys have any space on your trips this year. It would be great to be back on the river with you all! Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts