Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
131 Posts
no way. Dude had no business being there obviously. You can only do so much to help someone and they have to help themselves. I would have gotten him to shore where he was safe and told him good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeaaaa but...

Don't you think a good conscientious paddle partner would have known beforehand this dude had no business on a Class II section (or in a boat, period)? Not a very friendly way to get a noob to pick up a boating. This guy will probably never get in the water again and pick up knitting or bridge or something instead.

I was laughing at first but ended up feeling bad for this guy because he was obviously stone-frozen with fear. I mean, it is kinda funny, but kinda mean and unfair too...

This clip reminded me of the washing machine swim posted recently; both vids serve as good examples of how low intermediate rapids can still dish out a beating to the wrong paddler and crew. I find it surprising how lightly the folks in these videos seem to take whitewater from a beginner standpoint.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Dudes are best friends since forever. It's class II. I bet the locals swim with their kids down the slides without helmet or PFD at flows like this. I think it's hilarious and no one needs to be apologizing.

Also, the red bull helmet is just a consumer sticker to an indicator of pro status.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think Ned enjoyed this trip quit a bit more than his last one. Remember, the one Burt Reynolds was leading. Have a feeling Ned is done paddling forever.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Shhh, I hear banjo music... paddle (or swim) faster.

Dude must have spent all his money on that expensive, ugly new boat, a full-face helmet, and crankshaft paddle, and he had nothing left to spend on basic kayak skills lessons....lmao.

·
Registered
305 Posts
WTF. I can't believe I wateched the whole video. I kept waiting for someone to swim over a 50ft'er or something.

·
Registered
250 Posts
First impression - commentary is hard not to laugh at..

Second impression - Red Bull would never endorse a kayaker that was such a huge asshole.

Third impression - This guy either needs some better instruction, or find a more mellow sport.

Synopsis: It seems that the swim was actually caused by Team Red Bull trying to get him to "turn around" while just a few feet above what was probably a pretty intimidating drop to the victim. It's like Team Red Bull actually wanted the guy to fail so he could roast him the rest of the way down the river. To the guy in the Karma - I'd like to show you a positive trip down the river. If you ever end up out West, my crew and I would love to show you a positive trip down some whitewater and I promise we won't berate you if you take a swim or two.

Please don't give up because your pro bro was a dick. Seems he'd make a better comedian than a boating companion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Take it easy on the guy, it's hard to walk in a dry suit full of your incontinence. I know from experience.

I wonder if he sold all of his brand new gear yet? Poor bastard

·
Registered
265 Posts
Guy is definitely a dick. Fear can be just as debilitating as a broken limb.

If I was swimmer I'd kick his a$$ after seeing the video. People die from shock, ya know?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's one thing to let your buddy know that he's being a pussy and suck it up but this wasn't the time. This guy was in shock, obviously debilitated!

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
55 Posts
good crew talk before a trip would have gone a long way for this guy. I know people who have swam shit and been scared and they get out and are grateful that we take the time every time to go over the basics of what to do, when to do it. The banter is pretty good once the guy is fine though. and standing at the bottom of the drop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts