Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, CW, in conjunction with AW, contacted the Jefferson County attorney's office and the Douglas County Sheriff about the River Closure Order, closing certain sections of the South Platter River to all recreational users. They agreed that under C.R.S. Sec. 33-13-111, the river closure order should not apply to whitewater canoes and kayaks. Jefferson County has issued an amended river closure order that exempts whitewater canoes, kayaks, multi-chambered professionally guided rafts, and multi-chambered river boards. Douglas County will do the same.
You should know that even though the order was overbroad, the Assistant Jefferson County Attorney with whom I spoke and Sheriff Spurlock responded to our concerns promptly and quickly amended the order to comply with the statute.

If I have done it correctly, a pdf of the revised order will be attached to this post.
Have Fun. Be Safe.
Patrick Tooley
CW Board Member
Also posted on behalf of Nathan Fey of American Whitewater View attachment revised closure order.pdf

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Thanks Patrick for the work CW and AW do on this kind of issue.

The part about "multi-chambered professional guided rafts" has me a bit confused. Does this mean that if you have a multi-chambered professional-grade whitewater raft you're OK to go? Or that only professional guides in multi-chambered rafts can float (which seems odd as I don't think there are any outfitters guiding that reach)?

Thanks,

-AH

·
Registered
38 Posts
We are so lucky to have great whitewater advocates in this State, and understanding local authorities. Thanks for all you do!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Philip,
Their PR stated:
Due to recent rains and winter melt/runoff in the high country, the South Platte River water levels are high and continuing to increase.
Law enforcement and emergency personnel are asking people to stay away from shorelines with fast moving water because of the dangers associated with the higher water levels and localized flooding. Recent emergencies have included people, pets and cars being swept away.
So, to be clear, don't go kayaking because of the water.(?)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raft question

Hi Andy. The language can be read several ways I suppose, but neither the governing statute nor the implementing regulations use the term "multi-chambered professionally guided rafts." I do give the Jeffco and Douglas County Sheriffs credit for including rafts and river boards in the amended closure order, however, because the statute governing closure exempts only whitewater canoes and kayaks. Let me see what I can find out.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Thanks Patrick!

Also, folks please post on issues related to the closure in this thread. Just to help with housekeeping, we've closed the other thread "South Platte closure." You can see some info about conditions along the SP, and the original closure order, in that thread by clicking here.

Stay safe and don't get any speeding tickets on the rivers right now!

-AH

·
Registered
269 Posts
The irony is that the full closure, then amendment to exclude kayaks has brought more attention to this and probably incented more people to get on the river. I don't blame sheriffs office for trying to manage the risk, just observing the irony.

Speaking of irony, a canoe is ok but a raft might not be? No way I'd choose to be in a canoe on this water right now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So, I was up on foxton last night when the sheriff came by to advise us that the river was closed--we were leaving anyway, and I didn't want to challenge him about navigable waterways, worthy watercraft, etc., etc., and he seemed very nice--and it sounds like the OP addresses those issues.

There is some damage to the road in isolated areas, so closure could certainly be justified--but it's not impassable, so any justification would be a bit of stretch.

Unfortunately though, a road closure, which was also in effect last night, in this case, is a de facto river closure since you can't set shuttle

The intent of road closure work is always to get the work done and the road opened again asap of course--however it could potentially be closed except for local traffic only--which again would be a de facto river closure

And there's definitely a whole lot more authority and latitude over road closures for state and county officials.

I don't know if the road closure is still in effect, but do any access experts have any thoughts on combatting de facto river closures by closing roads, especially when the closure isn't truly justified?

·
Registered
263 Posts
oh--and a big thank you to CW and AW for addressing this issue with JeffCo

and foxton is super fun at these levels!

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
So, I was up on foxton last night when the sheriff came by to advise us that the river was closed...
Jay, Why didn't you just puff up your chest and tell the sheriff exactly who you work for and that nothing, roads or rivers, are closed to you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hwy 24, headed west in Woodland Park says
" So. Platte River access closed. Bridges closed in Deckers."

That was what my husband read today, 6/18.., on his way up Ute Pass to Divide.

Be safe & have a Great Time, wherever you paddle!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts