Mountain Buzz banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just finishing up my first season of kayaking since 2007. As I am getting back into the sport I would like to meet some boaters that I have things in common with other than boating. Are there any other gay boaters in Colorado? If so.. I would like to meet up and paddle next season or ski/board over the winter. I recently moved back to Colorado and looking to make outdoor buddies with similar interests.

Brett

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
No, I'm sure your not, and I give you props for speaking up in such a public forum. Good luck finding some like minded individuals.

Hopefully our members can be respectful and keep the flaming to a minimum.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
I was actually surprised how supportive the Buzzards were when one of our own recently (and bravely) spoke up about her own recent personal struggles....good on ya and hope you find lots of friends to go sport'n. If I was in the state I'd say let's go shred this winter. Try Monarch, lots of very accepting and friendly locals that ski there....

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Welcome the the 'buzz and back to Colorado Brett.I hope you find this community to be as great as I have. I don't know any gay kayakers in Colorado, but was inspired to see all the love on here for a transgendered member of the community who came out on a recent thread. Best of luck in finding new friends!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am just finishing up my first season of kayaking since 2007. As I am getting back into the sport I would like to meet some boaters that I have things in common with other than boating. Are there any other gay boaters in Colorado? If so.. I would like to meet up and paddle next season or ski/board over the winter. I recently moved back to Colorado and looking to make outdoor buddies with similar interests.

Brett
You're gay, not a special needs patient. Try a local bar or ok cupid and dont be so creepy. Your post sounds desperate and chicks/dudes find that to be a big turn off. Good luck my brah.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You're gay, not a special needs patient. Try a local bar or ok cupid and dont be so creepy. Your post sounds desperate and chicks/dudes find that to be a big turn off. Good luck my brah.
not sure what you're reading into bjacobs77's post but it's nothing what I or others seem to be reading into it. it doesn't seem creepy at all to me, seems like he's trying to find others with a lifestyle more aligned with his own. its also kinda condescending to call the guy creepy, tell him to go somewhere else, then do the "Good luck my brah' move like 'hey everythings ok between us after i just called you creepy and desperate'

there's something about river people you don't find in general when you go to a random bar, or in any other random slice of society. his post kinda struck me like "looking for other boaters that like to play chess" or maybe "looking for christian boaters to do non-boating things with." maybe its as simple as the guy loves the river, is getting settled back in colo and he's just looking for his kind of peeps to hang with.

welcome to the 2014, please get used to it and deal with it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
not sure what you're reading into bjacobs77's post but it's nothing what I or others seem to be reading into it. it doesn't seem creepy at all to me, seems like he's trying to find others with a lifestyle more aligned with his own. kinda struck me like "looking for other boaters that like to play chess" or maybe "looking for other sober boaters to do non-boating things with."

welcome to the 21st century, now please deal with it.
His post reads like "I kayak and like to do gay stuff" It doesn't give you any perspective of his personality. You gotta play it cool. Something like, Im a free spirited dude that runs big water and slays huge lines. Any other guys in the denver area down with hanging out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nah probably not too many into kayaking, a few rowdy folks on the buzz scare gay boaters into other sports...road-biking is the go-to i think...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with Bucketboater. If you're just looking for people who like to boat, ski, bike and climb that's easy. If your new friends need to be gay, that might be a little harder. Maybe try match.com. In all seriousness, doesn't Sup'ing draw a pretty large LBGT crowd.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Suggesting he try a dating site is pretty ignorant and insulting. He wasn't looking for a paddling partner he can start a relationship with. Homosexuals have platonic friends, lots of them Brah.

"Don't Bro me if you don't know me"-Words to live by...

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
road-biking is the go-to i think...
doesn't Sup'ing draw a pretty large LBGT crowd.
I hope the hate that these insecure idiots are spewing doesn't keep you from participating in the forum. Tmward and henrylightcap you should both take a deep breath, consider how hard it is just to be open with hateful trash like you publicly insulting people for who they are, and apologize.

·
addict
739 Posts
My bros, most of the kayakers i know are mad gay.

Ross
TK
Jmack
Bank
Both Kevins from Boulder
Gordon
Baer
The other Casey
James
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
33 Posts
CJacobs... don't mind bucketboater... even the Texans find him ignorant and to be a ego stroking jackass. Personally dont know anyone to put you in contact with, but wish you the best!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bucketboater turns straight women into lesbians...

Maybe his magic would work on Brahs too?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
his post kinda struck me like "looking for other boaters that like to play chess" or maybe "looking for christian boaters to do non-boating things with." maybe its as simple as the guy loves the river, is getting settled back in colo and he's just looking for his kind of peeps to hang with.

welcome to the 2014, please get used to it and deal with it.
Agreed, but why would anyone need to respond if I said, "Looking for boaters who play hockey to hang out with."

I have boating friends, hockey friends, parents-of-my-kids-friends friends, gay friends (who are into flying and motorsports) and the intersection of any of those groups is pretty small.

Sorry, but kayaking is kind of a niche sport. The subset of people who boat is small already. If the OP really wants to get on the river with LGBT folks, grab a raft, be the guide, and introduce some non-boaters to your favorite river.

..and the Christian boaters get slammed pretty hard, too, FWIW.

I agree with Bucketboater. If you're just looking for people who like to boat, ski, bike and climb that's easy. If your new friends need to be gay, that might be a little harder.
^^^
This

Suggesting he try a dating site is pretty ignorant and insulting. He wasn't looking for a paddling partner he can start a relationship with. Homosexuals have platonic friends, lots of them Brah.
Would it be any different from someone posting, 'male seeks female paddling partner for platonic relationship'?

I'm pretty sure most people seek paddling partners for their skill and attitude on the river. I want to boat with people who can rescue me if necessary and whom I will happily rescue if necessary. People who share beer and shuttle duties, and share interesting conversation around the campfire. I'll accept all the other qualities that define them as a person as long as they're cool on the river. :)

OP, I salute you for who you are. Just thought the tone of the question was funny as stated above. If you ever find yourself in NW MT or on the Lochsa in June, let's hit the river.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Brett
There are several I've met, I think the whole "bro-brah" community here makes it difficult for most people to be comfortable opening up.

Others made mention of the welcome greeting one of our transgendered community members received, they failed to mention the fact that later that person was ridiculed and demeaned to a point where they decided to leave this community altogether.

Good luck Brett, they're out there, they just tend to keep quiet :)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
There are several I've met, I think the whole "bro-brah" community here makes it difficult for most people to be comfortable opening up.
Fair point. I can imagine its harder to do with a group of brown claw 25 year-olds than a group of 40+ year olds (my demographic).

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Jen,
What exactly happened with Myka? Was there more than just a few negative comments and my joke in the thread where she came out?You would think that the high ratio of positive feedback would far outweigh a couple boneheads and a tasteless joke,especially considering the history of Caspermike's posts.He was particularly nasty early on.You wouldn't think she'd be that thin skinned .You've got me feeling guilty that I contributed to her leaving even though I expressed support multiple times.It is easy to say stuff without thinking or really meaning it.I am particularly ashamed of one post that came off as homophobic and was extremely insensitive to victims of incest.I just was in a dumb argument with another buzzard and said the kind of crap my friends and I used to talk to each other( remember shit talking was once more valued on this forum than info on coolers ).That was just the opening salvo it got Much worse.No one meant it literally .You would not say it to someone you knew WAS gay.Still you don' t need to explain why it is wrong.Was there some other thread where people gave Myka a shit that got deleted?Hope Myka comes back and is doing well.

PS tell Bob sorry I never got back to him ...the boat is fine he can use it if he wants does not have to buy it..not sure it is right for him though

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.