Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to tell with the lid and grins, but I don't see many yakers with much gray on the head. Have only been following the Buzz for a few years, and it appears at some point the thoroughbred is put out to pasture and buys a raft, for the family, of course. Seasoned yakers make for pro rafters.

I didn't get into boating until I already had the grays working, and started with a 16' cat. Lots of forgiveness built into that much rubber. Given I live on the Front Range, my seasons are short and not as accessible as a newbie would like. I'm at the point where a kayak is looking pretty appealing. The season is quite a bit longer and closer.

A river kayak looks very appealing right now, with the snowpack and flows diminishing, and La Nina setting up for a minimal runoff next year. I'm already jonesing for the runoff that might not be next year, and looking for a way to get on the water more frequently.

Do any of you yakers-turned-rafters have any input on when it's too late to get into the hardshell game? I'm having a good time now, I'm just jonesing for the next line...

·
Registered
336 Posts
There's more gray hairs out here than you would think. Some of us are well into our forties and some in the fifties still pushing it and running class V. Kayaking is a mental challenge and in your older age you can make smarter choices and be mentally tougher if you use your accumulated experiences to your advantage. Don't let age keep you away. You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
You would be surprised...most of my paddling friends are in their 40's and 50's, a few in their 60's, and last week I paddled with a gentleman who was pushing 80 (79).

It's never too late to get into kayaking, just make sure you hook up with a group of paddlers who understand your skill level, and have your back...Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Never too late!

I am a female who started kayaking in my mid-40s, I just turned 60, and I stopped dying my hair a year ago and love my gray hair. I still kayak up to Class IV, although mostly II-III runs. I also row two cats, a gearcat and a 12.5' Sotar Legend, and I will be rowing the Grand for the first time next March. I am teaching my 14 year old granddaughter to kayak, much to the disapproval of my son. I also row a single scull, (27 feet long and 12" wide). I love both kayaking and rowing. I hope to be still doing both when I'm 80. My husband is 66 and still kayaks and also rows occasionally. Like someone said, it's all about skill and finesse and doing it smarter.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Paddle where you want when you want and what you want. Beard and pube color accounts for little to the river gods.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I started at 40 and at 48 I still have no skill or finess, but don't let that stop me from haveing fun. Age is just a number to pu on your drivers license!
RandyP

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Its one more reason to wear a helmet, your gray hair dont show.

·
Registered
137 Posts
65 mostly class III but some class IV every now and then. Park and play almost every day that there's water. Got lots of hobbies, but this is still my favorite. Live life on God's time table. When it snow ski when it melts boat. How would you feel if you built yer kids a world like this and they just sat around watchin' tv? I'd be sorely disappointed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Next you'll stop dancing salsa!

G'day Angry Lion,

I am reading your angst! And chuckling.

At 48 I started white-water kayaking. Three years later, I am the happiest class-two paddler in the world, and occasionally I get out of my depth in class-3! Every week in the off-season I find a creek pool and roll 40 or 50 times. I did it today. In the evening I curl up with a kayak magazine. My life would be so much poorer if I hadn't found this great sport.

Having said that, I took up latin dancing at 43. That has brought me just as much fun, and it has to be said, more chicks, well, once-were chicks.

So, get a kayak and a pair of dancing shoes. The first might drown you, the second might give you a heart-attack, but heck, what a way to go!

Cheers and get-the-heck-out-there,

Mick from Australia.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow I thought it was all that sun from sitting on a raft that made one grey??? He he he, or was that sitting on a chair in the office???

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
ya, I can hide my own easter eggs too. Strap on one of those big boy diapers, buy that that kayak and 100 years from now you will be right back in that raft a happier boater.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Out To Pasture

Mmmmm..... I hesitate a bit to put a post on this subject because I don't want to feel like I am tooting my own horn or jinx my future boating career..Ha...but I am into my 4th year of hardshelling at 52..I was boating class 4 within a year now spend time on some class 5's as well.. Most of the folks I rock & ice climb, Mtn bike & boat with are half my age & wonder why I don't slow down & give them a rest...Ha.. that is except for uphill bike climbs..I weigh 220lb & never could keep up..oh well.

Bottom line is you are as young as you feel...mainly mentally ..I certainly have my aches & pains.....& Granted I do not recover as fast after a really hard day anymore, find it more challenging to maintain muscle mass & injuries do take longer to heel..But I feel very bleesed to be able to be out there having fun still at the levels I am into....I hope to continue to play as hard as I can no mater what the level is till the day I kick the bucket..

Main thing is....it's all about just being out there with good folks sharing the ride of life...class II - class V, 5.5-5.12, bunny slope-Black Diamond etc...who cares!!.....Just Enjoy & be safe.

By the way I paddled with this guy on Browns Canyon when I first started who was in his late 60's/early 70's...Wow!....he was as smooth as silk in everything he did...it was really cool to watch..next day I saw him on the Numbers..

Peace,

MtnGuyXC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts