Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new pump and wondering if there's something note-quite-so-pricey as the Carlson. If there's no getting around it then so be it, but has anyone any recommendations of existing alternatives?

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Depending on the size of craft you are inflating, I would just buy the pricey pump. When I bought my boat (12' Maravia) I was advised the same. I tried the cheap NRS wonder pump, as well as a similar model. They were both trash. After spending an hour trying to pump up my boat at the Loma launch in 100+ weather, I trashed the pump and bought the $200 NRS one, which was a little more affordable than the Carlson I believe. Having the large, quality pump has been 100% worth it, even though it seems like a weird thing to spend a lot of money on. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
688 Posts
K Pumps are nice and they are a bit cheaper. I only have the mini, but the larger ones put out quite a bit of volume. The Carlson is a great pump, but it falls over often and the hose is a little stiff. High quality though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Any serious boater should just buy the 4 or 5 in Carson barrel as their first pump. I started with a Wonder Pump and then bought the NRS 5in barrel. After realizing the wonder pump was horrible to pump up a whole boat. The NRS is OK, but I have broken multiple pieces of it. I then bought an electric that has hi/low volume. It to is OK. I then bought a kpump mini to keep on the boat and love it as a top off. I have a 9v Coleman that is great for $29 to pump up on the ramp and then top off with the k. I also adapted a small Kobalt shop vac that is great. I was just gifted a 4in carlson and it is magnificent. You will end up with more than 1 pump, but but the beast now and you will have a good start.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Before Mike passed away, Walton Marine in SLC, carried Black Rock Dory Works Barrel pumps(out of Pocatello, ID) in various configurations. We bought a tall 6'' and it has been an awesome pump for the past 6-7 years. Those short barrel pumps kill my back.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whiskey, I'm interested in that pump as our top off pump on the river. Who has deals on them?
I think I got mine at outdoor play.com, and it might actually be the K40. (only slightly less air volume but easier to pack) They have a coupon code GAT-10 for 15% off right now. Go getcha one!

·
Registered
91 Posts
DRE has great pumps. Surprised someone hasn't mentioned it already. I've had mine for a while, been down a lot of rivers. works like the day I bought it!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Whiskey,
Thanks. I've used a friends K-40 and it actually worked great as a river top off pump when you dealing with hot days and sun.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts