Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've demoed both. I was able to do stern stalls in about 5 minutes in the Star. I wasn't able to get the All Star dug in.

I'm 150 lbs with my gear on. I have a creek boat so if I want to run big stuff I'll use the creeker. I want to play and use the Star/All Star for easy runs (III/IV).

So should I get the All Star and learn how to throw it around, or go with the Star and be ready to get thrown around?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think you would be fine in the star. Your right in the weight range for it. I could see the ALL Star being a little harder to throw around. However if you took a little more time with it it might lend some great ends, and huge loops. But its also might be a little harder to toss around in a hole, or a wave. I think if you also take time with it, you wont get tossed around in a lot of bigger water....and if you feel super uncomfortable, then your creeker might be the better choice for that run!
Hope this helps.
Ben Guska
Team Jackson

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would go with All-star!

I was kind of in the same situation with the All-star and the Super-star and I went with the all-star for a season and a half and now that I have been in the Super-star it is so much better for everything! It goes bigger, It surfers better and my flat water tricks are way more controlled in the Superstar! I would go with All-star if I were you, you will be happier in the long run!

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
I strongly agree with paddle4eva, go with the bigger boat, more air, easier loops, etc...

I'm 175 & love the superstar, great boat that I can do whatever I need it to in a hole, but it also feels like a strong river-runner when I'm in gore or somewhere where I'm getting tossed around a bit, great stability.

Plus then you don't need to look like a sally paddling a creeker down moderate runs!

·
Registered
301 Posts
hey!

I would try the AllStar a few more times. In the long run, it will be a much better boat for you, I think. I am smaller than you and I felt like the Star was too small but the All Star was way too big but I could throw it down with good outfitting and a little practice. Plus if you can use a larger volume boat you might as well, You will go way bigger.
Demo the boats a few more times. Did you feel comfortable river running in the star? It seems like it might not be so stable.

good luck!
syotr,
Christine

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah. At 130, I can throw the Star around pretty well. I would think it would be a little small for you. You should be pretty comfortable in an Allstar at that weight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree with the above im 155 and have paddled both numerous times and the All Star is the better boat for river running and play. I can throw the Star around with no effort but when it comes to loops or anything with air it doesnt have the volume. When I have used the Star on our local class 4 ditch I get pushed around pretty bad and its really not as stable as the All Star.

Go with an All Star!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey, I'm looking into getting one too. According to specs I should be in an All-Star at 165 5'8". Seems like I fall right into that range. I still need to get out and demo one though. Any recommendations on where to do so? I'm also interested in a WS Project. So if i could demo both that would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Likes it wet.
295 Posts
Boats

Hey Nick.

I have an 07 Allstar (new one) and a Project 52 you can jump into. I bet you'll like the fit of the Allstar much better. More leg room and much more adjustable. Plus... it goes HUGE.

Let me know.

·
Registered
255 Posts
boat sizing

yeah, i'm 175, 5-9 or 5-10, and seems like i'm always in between the medium and big boats.

i got the mid size agent, and get by in it for river running, but am pretty tight in it. my experience has been that when it is cold and i put more layers on, in particular, i am too big for it and wish i had a bigger boat.

i'd say that if you're on the bubble, go bigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts