Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to Seward, AK and don't know any boaters yet. My boat gets here on the barge in a few days and I'd like to go paddle. Anyone in AK want to paddle or does anyone know someone in AK that I can contact to paddle with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out the Alaska Outdoor Directory forums and post a similar thread under Kayaking and Rafting. You'll surely find some fellow paddlers. Six Mile Creek will be the premier class IV/V run about an hour north of Seward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
boat the wrangells

We got a lot of good rivers out here around McCarthy, it is a long drive from Seward though, about ten hours. Good class III here in town and a lot of big water fly outs as well. As far as the Kenai goes, six mile is the gem but there are many others. If you make it out McCarthy way, get a hold of us! Thanks for the shout out Tony!

·
Registered
22 Posts
lets boat!

Hey I'm up in Anchorage, looking for partners. Just drove up from CO. It's a bitch trying to find partners up here. Lets hit six mile. Devan 720-289-1297

·
Registered
20 Posts
As they said, Sixmile is going to be great for someone living in Seward. Sixmile Fest is going be going to be the weekend of August 25th, so if you haven't met any good boating buddies by then, that'll be a great time to meet most boaters in the area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to add that if you're looking for a guidebook to the area, Tim Johnson's (newer) book is great, and much easier to figure out. The Embeck guide is historically significant (and groundbreaking for sure) but super hard to digest.

Also, if youre like me coming from CO, it a bit of a shock the lack of boaters up here. Everyone packrafts. (and I get it now, after looking at the approaches to the put-ins) There's one kayak shop in the entire state, and it's run out of a garage. (super cool folks)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. Devan my boat should be here on the 30th so I'll be down to paddle after then. Rivermountaingnar hit me a PM with your info and we should meet up when you get here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts