Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there extend their power cables for an airhead kwik tek pump? Just wondering if they had any issues with this and if they (by chance) happen to know what gauge wire they used.

Any other mods they made to make it a better raft pump?

this pump

·
Jared
733 Posts
Amps and Wire Gauge - 12V Circuit

Honestly, I think it would be cheaper and easier to add to the hose. 28 amps is a pretty large draw, and the longer the cable, the larger the gauge wire you need. That would mean you would have to replace the entire wire back to its connections to lengthen the wire leads, unless they overbuilt the factory wiring, and I doubt that. I use a jumper box with a cheap airhead pump, but most of the time I leave mine inflated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
not sure helps? my dad rigged a two prong plug, I believe off of trailer lights. put matching plug on pump, he turns on headlights to make plug hot. no getting under the hood, we blew up ik's off we went.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I use this same pump. I solved the distance issue with a 12V gel cell motorcycle battery- Just take it where you need it.... no risk of running down your vehicle's battery. I keep it charged with a battery tender on my workbench so it's always ready to go.

·
Jared
733 Posts
I forgot to ask, how do these pumps do? The LVMs are getting pretty pricey, these look comparable...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ditto. Gotta manage the connection so they don't make contact.
I just got some 10 gauge black and red zip wire. 25' for $18. I'll pull the clamps off and remount them to the new wire.

The existing wire is probably closer to 12 or even 14 gauge. I figure some of the cheaper jumper cables are 10 gauge so I'm thinking I'll be fine. It's not optimal but then again it's not a long run time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts